upgrade to disc brakes

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I have an ’09 GF Marlin with V-brakes but it’s disc-ready (not sure exactly what makes it disc-ready…the hubs?). What all would I need to buy to upgrade to disc brakes? I’m assuming I would just need the brakes (levers, rotors, etc.) but not new rims, hubs, etc. Thanks for any help/info anyone can give.

"droc" wrote

I have an ’09 GF Marlin with V-brakes but it’s disc-ready (not sure exactly what makes it disc-ready…the hubs?). What all would I need to buy to upgrade to disc brakes? I’m assuming I would just need the brakes (levers, rotors, etc.) but not new rims, hubs, etc. Thanks for any help/info anyone can give.

Disc ready varies from bike to bike. Some just have the mounting points for the calipers while other bikes have the full deal (disc hubs [six bolt or center locking hub], mounting points for calipers) If you get mechcanical discs then your levers that you already have should work just fine, just will need some new cables. If you were looking to get hydraulic disc brakes then that mean an entire brake kit. Your hubs would need to be either IS six bolt pattern or for the rarer kind a centerlocking hub (i.e. majority of shimano hubs). If this is not so on your bike already then you have to get hubs that will accept some form disc. There are "disc-only" rims that are not made for a v-brake to sit on them (different design). However if your current rims are acceptable to what you want then you can keep them and just have them re-laced with a disc compatiable hub. The way you can tell if your hub is the correct type is if it has a six point looking star shape on the side (typically the left side) or if it has ring on the side that has splines continously around itself (this is the centerlocking type). Also, the posts, or mounting points for a caliper determines which size disc you can use. Most of the time it is a six inch diameter disc that can be used for bikes with a set-up like yours.

Hope this help in some way.

If you do decide to go disc, I would recommend the Avid BB7s if you want to go mechanical. Easy to tune and for $100 bucks you’re all set. (unless you need adapter mounts) I just replaced my tektros with a set and what a difference!

Hi,
      disk brakes are powerful-granted- but needed only if:
      a) riding DH, then they are must,
      b) ride in wet conditions.

if you ride XC ( even agressive XC) and you are not a heavy rider, rim brakes are the way to go.

"pedro.martinez" wrote

Hi,
      disk brakes are powerful-granted- but needed only if:
      a) riding DH, then they are must,
      b) ride in wet conditions.

if you ride XC ( even agressive XC) and you are not a heavy rider, rim brakes are the way to go.

I’d disagree. They shed dirt and mud so much better than rim brakes. Seems like rim brakes are going the way of the dodo bird in terms of mountain bikes.

Im not bagging on rim brakes, I just prefer my disc on my XC.

What about the fact that they just look cooler? Plus it opens up the world of cooler looking rims as the side of the rim can be used for the manufacturer’s logos.

They really just lend themselves to better performance, reliability in adverse conditions, and more consistent braking power. I guess I get a free pass because I often ride in the wet and snowy stuff in the winter and I am over the 200 lb mark – but they do look cool

i don’t care what anybody says if you are able to switch to Discs you should not hesistate. in my group of riding buddies i’m the only one who rides discs and we got caught in a rain storm on the trail and it was all downhill back those discs were the only thing that kept my hardtail on the track, everyone else was all over the place.

they’re not only good for there performance in wet conditions and on the down hill they are much easier to maintain and to service like my man Mongoose said, you don’t have to dis connect anything to get your wheel out of place and they’re nice to have where dust could be an issue.

I’ve been riding discs since they came out for BMX when i was still in that racket and if i was offered and endorsement for conventional bike brakes i would not take it for anything you could not give me V-brakes and you could not pay me to ride rim brakes.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.