Upgrade or replace Wahoo

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all. I am new here…first post. I have a 04 GF Wahoo I bought new. I bought it as my first "real" bike after college and used it mainly for riding paths, fireroads, etc. I then got into road cycling, but still used it as an all purpose bike. I got into singletrack last year and found that the Wahoo was lacking in several respects: heavy fork, heavy wheels, slow shifting, spongy brakes, tires not good in mud. I think I have outgrown it and it is time for a replacement. I am looking at the Trek 6500 and some other new hardtails in the $1000 range.

Basically, I want a good lightwieght hardtail with midrange components that can take a beating on the trails. However, there is nothing really wrong with the frame and I hate to buy something new when I don’t need to, so I have been thinking of upgrading the wheels, adding disk brakes, replacing the fork, and adding a new rear derailuer.

My question is, is the Wahoo (which when I bought it was a $300 "entry level" MTB) worth upgrading, or, should I spend my money on a new rig. I may come out only a few hundred better if I go the upgrade route, so maybe buying new is the way to go?

Thanks!

Bueller?

Well there may be a few problem with upgrading your current bike. One might be there possibly being no rear disc brake mounts on the frame. You would also either need new Hubs for your current wheels or new wheels with a 6 bolt, or center lock hub to mount the disc. The Brakes are spungy because the cables and housing do wear down and more than likely need to be replaced.

I say buy a new bike, and fix the spungy brakes on your Wahoo and keep it as your town bike.

I decided to try a rigid fork. I ordered a Surly 1×1 ($53). You were correct, my bike does not have tabs for disk brakes.

For right now, I will plunk a couple hundred into getting the Wahoo up and running while looking for something new. The v-brakes it came with were cheapo promax brakes that are worn down to almost nothing. So I ordered a set of Avid 7s for replacements. I think I can get some new tires, a new chain, casette and crankset all for close to around $300 if I do some bargain hunting (there is a bike expo coming up in a couple of months).

It is a lot easier to sell SWMBO on a $300 refurb rather than a $1000+ new bike. If when all is said and done, the upgrades to the Wahoo do not cut it or I don’t like it, then I can at least tell her that I tried to save money and be frugal.

Also, not having shopped for a "serious" mtb before, I now realize I have a lot of learning to do as far as manufacturers, parts, geometry, etc.—there are a LOT of bikes to testride. And, the refurb will be a good learning experience for me to mess with mtb components in the meantime.

I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the suggestions

The Surly Fork is good. Your going to have to do a bit of work to get it mounted but it should not be to bad. Dont forget you will need tools to replace all the old parts and mount the new ones. I bet you can do a lot better as far as the price of parts. Do a list of what you want to get and I will see if I cant find you some better prices, and the tools to go with them.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.