Upgrade bike or upgrade components?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Upgrade bike or upgrade components?

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hello, I’m looking for some advice on whether to upgrade my 2009 Cannondale F9 to a nicer bike or to just put some money into components for it. I just started Mountain biking often in January so I’m fairly new, but I ride very often and pretty hard nowadays and it’s doing a number on my components.
      One problem is that my front gears got bent from when I was learning how to get over logs the correct way (though now I know how, so it served it’s purpose as a learning bike), but I think any bikes gears would have probably bent from that so I don’t blame my bike for that. However, my front and rear wheel get out of true often and I think that’s from the rough riding (had to get them fixed 3 times since I started riding a lot); my brakes have some problems and aren’t disk brakes; and my bike doesn’t shift smoothly, nor did it before I bent it, and I think it’s starting to strip my cogs. My frame seems nice-enough, though it’s heavier than I like, but seems strong.
      My budget is $500-700 and there’s a big mountain biking scene here in Richmond, VA so finding a decent used bike shouldn’t be a big problem (from either craigslist or a LBS). Lastly, I’m going to start racing XC competitively soon.
      What do you think?
      Thanks,
      EFR

"EFR450" wrote

One problem is that my front gears got bent from when I was learning how to get over logs the correct way

Consider replacing the big chainring with a bashguard

Having said that though, you should be able to pick up a decent used full susupension rig in your pricerange.

Try this site:
      http://crazedlist.org/#

It lets you search Craigslist for multiple cities at one time.

Good luck!

I’ve been thinking about the same thing, man. I am riding a $350 Giant Boulder SE with platforms, rim brakes and bare minimum components. Right when I got the bike, maybe 3-4 rides into having it, I fell off a little bridge and also basically bent my whole crankset. Rode with it like that for a while because I still had my Low chainring. After riding more and more, harder and harder I realized tht wouldn’t cut it. I was actually ripping through chains like it was cool. So i went out and spent $50 on a new crankset and also bought a whole tool kit because I knew my bike would need TLC after every single ride. I don’t have the budget to buy a new bike (at least, not yet) so I ride the crap out of my beater and have learned how to fix it by reading books and just doing it. So this works for me, but I’d say that if you are going to start riding, you will probably need to upgrade at least some components. That being said, upgrading components will end up costing more in the long run, especially if they’re cheap to begin with.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="EFR450":2lj6wvq8]One problem is that my front gears got bent from when I was learning how to get over logs the correct way

Consider replacing the big chainring with a bashguard

Having said that though, you should be able to pick up a decent used full susupension rig in your pricerange.

Try this site:
      http://crazedlist.org/#

It lets you search Craigslist for multiple cities at one time.

Good luck![/quote:2lj6wvq8]

That’s actually a really great idea! I think I will do that since I don’t really need the big chainring, plenty of power from the 2nd in the front and 8th in the back. Thanks for the site too, that will be useful to know for more things than just biking. thanks for the reply, very helpful.

to seanjordan221:
      yeah, I do need to learn how to fix my own bike some, upgrading components myself would certainly force me to learn it.

"EFR450" wrote

yeah, I do need to learn how to fix my own bike some, upgrading components myself would certainly force me to learn it.

Acctually, you might want your local shop to install stuff like cranks and bottom brackets. You don’t want to mess up the threads or break anything. Keep that in mind when doing things yourself.

"dozzerboy" wrote

[quote="EFR450":1x8ctdcp]yeah, I do need to learn how to fix my own bike some, upgrading components myself would certainly force me to learn it.

Acctually, you might want your local shop to install stuff like cranks and bottom brackets. You don’t want to mess up the threads or break anything. Keep that in mind when doing things yourself.[/quote:1x8ctdcp]

Noted, though I’m always pretty careful, I’ll be extra careful though. I ended up buying a bike from a guy downtown, very glad I went with it, $500 for hydraulic disk brakes, SRAM X-9 components, redline frame and fox F80x fork. So now that I have something else to ride, I’m going to try to fix up the Cannondale as a spare bike. Good for learning and if I mess it up it’s no big loss, though I’ll be careful regardless.

Sounds like you stole it from him! Anyways that is a great idea. Hope you have a great time with your new bike.

Happy riding! 😎

Thanks! It’s night and day compared to my now old cannondale

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.