upgrade 09 GF marlin v brakes to disc brakes

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

my wifes bike the 09 Gary Fisher Marlin came with the v brake option but has the hubs that are ready to accept disc brakes. She dosent need anything too radical but would like disc brakes what is the best and most economical set up. This same bike also came in an option with disc brakes but was out of our price range when we purchased the bike any thoughts?

Chris

"chrisjr123" wrote

She dosent need anything too radical but would like disc brakes what is the best and most economical set up.

BB7’s are amongst the best you can get for the "most economical set up" in my opinion. Not only are they hands down the best mechanical disc brake, but they are the best bang for your buck.

You could also go a step down to the BB5’s if the 7’s are a little too much money. I’d be advised before purchasing, because I haven’t really had a great experience with the BB5’s and I also hear mixed reviews about them all the time.

BB7’s

BB5’s

Just make sure that if you consider going with disk brakes that you check to see if the brake levers are disk compatable as well…Some people fail to check that and then wonder why the brake lever is almost touching the handlebar.

Cheers

"element22" wrote

Just make sure that if you consider going with disk brakes that you check to see if the brake levers are disk compatable as well…Some people fail to check that and then wonder why the brake lever is almost touching the handlebar.

Cheers

can you explain more on this? I too have an 09 GF that has V-brakes that I want to upgrade to discs one of these days. I figured if I stayed with Mechanicals, the lever was going to be a non-issue. Forgive the newb question please. 😀

There are different brake levers on the market some will work with both V-Brakes and Disks while other will work only with one or the other.

Well the reason behind this all depends on how much cable there is. Now some brakes the point where the cable fits into the lever can vary and are usually marked while other brake levers do not have that feature…Now what can make this worse is that I have no way from here telling you if your lever is disk compatable…Do you have a model number on the lever? I could try and find you an answer or contact the manufacture directly.

I suppose I could look at the spec sheet on my bike, and the disc model offered as well and see if the brake levers are the same, and that would answer my question. I just didn’t realize that there are different levers, of which some work for Disc and V. Figured it was the same barrel on the end of a cable. Now, the length of said cable I can see being an issue.

Again, please forgive the newbness.

No Problem…Many people are un aware of that issue..But keep that in mind. The better levers out there like the Sram line up are compatable with both disc and V-brake.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.