Updating components on an older bike

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hello, I have a 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp with all original equipment and was wondering if I can upgrade to the disc brakes and other components? I am debating on purchasing a new bike vs. just making some updates to the existing bike. I love my bike but didn’t know if it’s worth it to upgrade or buy new.

Thanks,

Floyd Kish

That bike is over 10 years old. I would recommend to get a new bike..By the time you spend on brakes, wheels and I am not sure if your bike has brake bosses on the fork and frame. You may need a fork and frameset.. In otherwords that bike leave it as is and use it to just boot around and get yourself a new bike that you would be a whole lot happier with. You will be happier because you don’t have to worry about compatability issues that may arise.

Cheers and welcome to singletracks.

Hi Floyd again

Just checked out the specs…You will need a new fork and frameset..

The M2 has no brake bosses in the back for the mounting of the rear disks..

So save yourself a tonne of cash and purchase a new bike…Even if you find a 2008 or 2009 your golden.. The new 2010 models are arriving and shops are discounting to make room.

Thanks for the advice…it’s been a good bike but a new one will probably give me more pleasure. Thanks.

No problem I would just hate to see you spend more than the sum of a new bike and still have issues with worn cranks chains and such

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.