Update or upgrade…That is the question.

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

These days I have noticed that it is costing more and more money to get a bike at the same level as years before…for ex, I bought a Cannondale F5 years back and it was my first bike. It came to me as a medium level mountain hardtail with a mix of x-7 and x-9 components, rockshock fork dart 3, and a few others. I paid around $650 if memory serves but my beef is with the new bikes, a new Cannondale F5 has Suntour crap shock and like a X-3 or 4 group for the same price maybe even a little more. 😈

So my question is; is it better to update your ride to nicer components on the same frame or maybe a different frame, meaning build your own or upgrade to a new bike off the line…?

To be perfect buy a frame and fit it with what you want from the beginning. Cheap? NO! but it is what you make it to be. Or buy a complete bike and refit it. Cheap? NO! Sell the old stuff to offset coast yes @ some price if it’s low enough or just put it in a pile. Production bikes are designed to fit a bunch of people and needs but are cheaper. Look at your level of commitment and deside if it’s worth it because when you don’t clean a tough climb on the "perfect" bike you built it isn’t the bikes fault. Confucius has left the building. 😄 Later,

Well I have personally went the route of buying a decent frame (Titus Motolite) and building up my own personalized moutain bike. I was just trying to make conversation and see if anyone else has noticed this as well…?

"kvnrbrts" wrote

These days I have noticed that it is costing more and more money to get a bike at the same level as years before…for ex, I bought a Cannondale F5 years back and it was my first bike. It came to me as a medium level mountain hardtail with a mix of x-7 and x-9 components, rockshock fork dart 3, and a few others. I paid around $650 if memory serves but my beef is with the new bikes, a new Cannondale F5 has Suntour crap shock and like a X-3 or 4 group for the same price maybe even a little more. 😈

AND that Cannondale isn’t even made in Pennsylvania any more!

That is so true. Mine still was made in the USA but not no more. That is another topic in itself. Bikes being outsource to other countries for production. I may start that one.

I’ve always said, if you’re gonna bu a Taiwanese bike, buy it from a Taiwanese company.

"kvnrbrts" wrote

So my question is; is it better to update your ride to nicer components on the same frame or maybe a different frame, meaning build your own or upgrade to a new bike off the line…?

But don’t forget, modern day X4 is just as good as X7/9 from several years ago (depending on how long ago it was).

Cheapest way is to buy a complete w/the parts you want. The OEM companies buy so many parts they get them at a tiny fraction of the cost you pay if you buy them aftermarket, whether you’re upgrading or building up a frame.

For example, the Anthem X 29 3 is $2350. If you bought just the frame, it’s $1600. Add a Fox fork similar to what comes w/the 3, and you’ll spend another $800 – so now you’ve got a frame and fork and you spent $2400. So you can buy the complete bike for $50 LESS!!!!

That is a valid point dgaddis, but I still think bikes have fell in line with other products out these days…just seems you pay more and get less.

If you are going to upgrade spend more money than you want to. You will thank yourself later.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.