Update on Coldwater Mountain, Anniston, AL trails

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Update on Coldwater Mountain, Anniston, AL trails

--
SHARES

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      It’s time for Calhoun County to prepare for visitors who will bring (a.) their bicycles and (b.) their spending cash to this region once a biking trail is complete on Coldwater Mountain. That was the message delivered a couple of Fridays back at the Calhoun County Chamber of Commerce.

The session, Better Living Through Trails, was delivered by two experts from the International Mountain Bicycling Association, the organization at the forefront of developing the hundreds of acres on Coldwater’s public lands. If all goes according to schedule, in three or four years Coldwater Mountain will be home to a network of 60 miles of mountain bike trails constructed for various skill levels. Also included will be facilities known as “a gravity area, a skills park and a pump track,” all of which will allow riders to enjoy the facility without pedaling off deep into the forest.

Read more here: http://annistonstar.com/bookmark/179194 … 0%99s-good

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66170806@N … 202089438/

Does anyone know when the first phase is supposed to be open?

Can’t help you on 411 Greg. Just wanted to say – nice rock work. My Blur would be happy there.

Will try to get through there this summer, love rocks 😆, and I know Jason left me some to play on.

Poe

The goal is to have 10 to 12 of the eventual 60 miles completed by April 21/22 weekend. However, this is not set in stone. At present, the access road has not been paved and Alabama DOT has the unfinished road closed. So there is no public access. Paving is to begin soon (when wet weather clears). IMBA/Trail Solutions has designed the trail system and is building it. It’s pretty amazing stuff. Check this page for up to date info on the status of the trails and also some pics and a video that will give you a taste of what is to come: http://www.neaba.net/coldwater-mountain … roject.htm

Watched the video, sweet. Build it they will come, I will at least 😆

"Poe" wrote

The goal is to have 10 to 12 of the eventual 60 miles completed by April 21/22 weekend. However, this is not set in stone. At present, the access road has not been paved and Alabama DOT has the unfinished road closed. So there is no public access. Paving is to begin soon (when wet weather clears). IMBA/Trail Solutions has designed the trail system and is building it. It’s pretty amazing stuff. Check this page for up to date info on the status of the trails and also some pics and a video that will give you a taste of what is to come: http://www.neaba.net/coldwater-mountain … roject.htm

Cool, thanks for the info Poe!

Looks like the official grand opening / ribbon cutting is scheduled for June 1!

Introducing Coldwater Mountain, IMBA-SORBA’s newest trail system! The Grand Opening ceremony for Coldwater Mountain, located outside of Anniston, AL, is set for noon, June 1st, at the trailhead. Friday’s ceremony will include acknowledgements, a ribbon cutting, and rides led by the Northeast Alabama Bicycle Association (NEABA), the local IMBA-SORBA chapter. The celebration continues on Saturday, June 2nd, with group and individual rides beginning at 8 a.m., with a complimentary lunch catered by Mellow Mushroom of Anniston. The rides traverse approximately 11 miles of trail that are laid out in a one-mile and ten-mile loop. “We are so very excited to be opening the first phase of this multi-year project. This trail is designed and built to optimize the terrain and bring mountain bicyclists the very best experience. This is a state-of-the art, made-for-fun, purpose-built mountain bike trail, and we invite everyone to come out and join us in this celebration,” says Robin Allen, IMBA-SORBA’s Communication Director.

I should be there if anyone wants to meet up and ride!

Really want to make this one but I’ll be on the road to Colorado.

"trek7k" wrote

Really want to make this one but I’ll be on the road to Colorado.

Haha I’d definitely choose Colorado! Coldwater will be there when you get back 😉

These trails are going to rock. Big time. I’ve seen some pics on facebook….I want to go. Can’t make the grand opening though. I’ll get there eventually.

I’m gonna probably be there for Saturday, maybe even Friday depending on a few things.

For those of you going, bring a bike you can be comfortable getting air time with. The downhill on this trail could be a mini DH course. So many berms, rollers, doubles, and places to get air I lost count. SOOOOOOOO worth the uphill climb.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

For those of you going, bring a bike you can be comfortable getting air time with. The downhill on this trail could be a mini DH course. So many berms, rollers, doubles, and places to get air I lost count. SOOOOOOOO worth the uphill climb.

So worthy of doing at least two laps?

If you can stand the heat it is worth it. I must have sweated a gallon yesterday and I wasn’t even there during he hottest part of the day. 91 degrees when I left and it rained a little the night before so the forest was super steamy. Since you’ll be there for the [i:ij0tdpr8]official [/i:ij0tdpr8]grand opening there might be a couple guys "in the know" who know how to short cut the ride back to the top of the mountain to get a quick second run on the descent. I almost turned around and rode back up that section yesterday but it would be really dangerous to do so with other riders heading down the mountain behind you. This is definitely a one way only trail.

I had a great time! Rode the entire trail twice… so much fun!!!

For anyone else interested in checking out the trails, see our trail reviews here: http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … er-mt.html

Can’t wait to check it out when I get back!

This trail just got added to my bike trip list. Im starting in Sylacauga. AL and then heading north hitting Oak Mountain, Hurrican Creek, and then Coldwater Mountian. And the list will keep growing as time goes on.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="GoldenGoose":2mqtctu1]For those of you going, bring a bike you can be comfortable getting air time with. The downhill on this trail could be a mini DH course. So many berms, rollers, doubles, and places to get air I lost count. SOOOOOOOO worth the uphill climb.

So worthy of doing at least two laps?[/quote:2mqtctu1]

+10000000000 on Goose’s comment! Getting airtime is a must, along with hitting the alt line rock drop to the right before you get to the first burms.Be mindful that you can be injured, as I came away with bruised/cracked ribs and gouged/swollen knee. Stop at the big burm at the overlook to get views like this.

Greg, I did three! SOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it. The beginner loop was a fun warm-up as well(I think I must have done 4-5 laps), not to mention that a lot of it is a mini pumptrack trail.

Stopping at that overlook is tough, though bc that section is so fun! If you stop, you really need to hike back up to session it at full speed!

I will stop for a look on the second lap…maybe

As the first of the Coldwater Mountain bike trails is readied to officially open this week, the city of Anniston is working to connect the area to downtown Anniston and eventually to the Chief Ladiga Trail. The project could cost more than $1.4 million, although the city would not be the sole provider of those funds.
      The trails connections are a complex project crossing state, county and city roads, Plunk said. The Alabama Department of Transportation, the MPO, Calhoun County and the city will all have to sign off on the project, he said.

The study breaks the project down into three phases. Phase 1 would connect the mountain bike trail to Alabama 202 and Noble Street and has an estimated cost of $223,010. Phase 2 would connect Ladiga trail to Alabama 202. It’s estimated to cost $496,680. Phase 3 would connect Ladiga Trail to the Coldwater Mountain Complex and it’s estimated to cost $746,920.

The most critical part of the connection to the mountain bike trail is the 600 to 700 feet on Monsanto Road, Plunk said.

“It’s the Monsanto Road part of the whole thing that’s costly and will be the most critical segment,” Plunk said.

Riders will be looking for places to eat or sleep after their days on the trails, Poe said. A connection to Anniston would be an important part of getting them to stay.

“Part of the experience that makes it worth the trip for them (bikers), is to visit a cycling friendly community,” Poe said. “So, when they arrive at a place that has no biking facilities, nothing that really caters or accommodates their needs as a cyclist whatsoever, they’re still going to enjoy the trails but they may not really stay or spend much money or really have a reason to be in the community very much.”

Read more here: http://annistonstar.com/view/full_story … r_featured

I just added this to my ride list. Looks like a great trail.

Mike

Rode it. Fast and fun, well worth the hour drive.

Well we made the trek up to Coldwater Mountain from Ft Benning Ga. It’s about a 2 hr drive and was worth every second of windshield time. Originally from Northern VA, I have riden all over N. VA and MD. I am in the Marine Corps and lived in and riden in, VA,NC,CA, KY, and now GA. By far Coldwater Mountain has been the best planned and developed trails I have ever riden. What a blast. From the second you start the ride and realize how well the trail flows it is awesome. The climbs are not super technical at all which is nice since you are climbing. The down hills / BMX track are a blast and well designed. We will definately be back. Look forward to going back and hitting hard now that we know the trail. I highly recommend this trail, AWESOME!!!!!!

It will be a while before I get to Anniston because of the distance. What I think is so cool is a trend of communities latching on to mountain biking as a financial life raft so to speak. Moab, Fruita, Oakridge, Davis are a few that come to mind. There will be more – its not that hard to do if you have the right terrain and people.

Rode a flow trail called PBR with a similar design concept at Fruita today… nowhere near as nice as Coldwater Mountain!

Viewing 26 reply threads