Underground Mountain Bike Race?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Who here would be interested in an underground mountain bike race?

If you happen to be a Mountain biker and afraid of heights, try Hungary’s one and only underground mountain biking race, the Underworld Cup.

The old and abandoned underground vaults, the venue of this rare type of bike race in Budapest, have been used many a way over the centuries. They are the result of limestone mining from the 13th century that gave the name of that part of the town in Hungarian—Kobanya–stone mine. The pits, once mining was discontinued in the 19th century, have served as a place for beer storage and hop germination for the neighboring brewery and also as a secret Messerschmitt airplane factory in World War II.

Read more, and watch videos, here: http://blogs.wsj.com/emergingeurope/201 … -budapest/

Hungary is not the only place for underground cycling. In Michigan’s Adventure Mine, an old copper mine, bikers can race at an event dubbed as the Miner’s Revenge. In Slovenia’s Karavanka Mountains, within the territory of Podzemlje Pece geopark, biking is allowed all year round even for non-racers.

Personally, I hate being underground… and I don’t know if being on a bike would be much better. While the underground portion of this race course is only 700 meters, I personally much prefer the open air!

What do you think?

Pretty cool! I would do it! Looks like the underground is non-technical. They need to throw in some jumps or a drop down to the next level.

"gar29" wrote

Pretty cool! I would do it! Looks like the underground is non-technical. They need to throw in some jumps or a drop down to the next level.

Yeah man, that would be seriously cool! Throw in some mixed-features and I am so game… 😄

If a certain person is in the race, at least 700 meters will be dry. 😃

"brianW" wrote

If a certain person is in the race, at least 700 meters will be dry. 😃

Doubt it… somehow… someway… 😆

I had heard of the U.P. race before. It looked really cool, but you can’t get there from here. rofl

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.