Tubes- presta or schrader?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

what are the pros/cons between presta and shcrader tubes, if there are any? I seem to always have problems with presta, and is a tube a tube or is there a difference between brands and where I purchase them? can someone shed some light.

Tubes come in different sizes, wall thickness, and obviously valve head. Most rims are predrilled for either presta or schrader valves. They do make little ruber inserts so you can properly run prestas on a rim drilled for schraders. If you are pinch flatting a lot try running a bigger tire with a bigger tube and a thicker wall. Picking cleaner lines won’t hurt either.

I rode my old 18 year old Target Pacific bike for years and never had a flat. Rode a Mongoose for last year… Never had a flat. Got a Trek and put some Bontrager tubes in beginning of this summer, nd ran over an ear ring of all things. Got a flat.
      I’m not ready to mess with tubeless yet, but was wondering if the tubes at the bike shops are truly any better than those at Walmart, or other department stores.
      If there are tubes that are better I’d be interested. If they are substantially lighter I’d be interested.
      Any opinions?

As long as your not looking to get into downhill type tubes,I say buy all the tubes you can for cheaper at walmart or wherever you can find em cheaper,I actually buy mine at performance bike store because they always have deals and for just a little more you can support you LBS.KInda hard to find a better tube when were talking about punctures in rubber,but you can buy a cheap tube that’s made with thinner material to at least save weight,hahahaha.

Walmart had presta valve tubes. Go figure. Bought a couple and replaced the flat one. Rode as good as the Bontragers at 1/2 the price. The valve wouldn’t work with my adaptor for my air compressor though. Had to use my small bike pump for it.

I have always used schrader. As far as any difference between name brand tubes and walmart tubes… not that I have experienced. I would stock up on tubes from wherever you can get them cheap. If not, you can end up like me paying $8 for a tube from a bike shop which is nuts but I needed it ASAP.

I’ve always run presta tubes. The bikes came thay way so I stayed that way. I also had a wheel builder tell me that the larger hole for the schrader tube made the wheels weaker and more prone to cracking especially if you drill out the holes to fit. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😄 Later,

Do they make the slime tubes for preta valves? Thats the only reason i use schraeder

"SpyderRider" wrote

Do they make the slime tubes for preta valves? Thats the only reason i use schraeder

Yes, they make both. You’re also bound by the rim type that you have.

Also check out True Goo tubes. They are far superior to Slime, in my opinion.

oh okay! I just get the slime ones at walmart when i need too. feel kinda stupid asking that 😆

"fat_billy" wrote

I’ve always run presta tubes. The bikes came thay way so I stayed that way. I also had a wheel builder tell me that the larger hole for the schrader tube made the wheels weaker and more prone to cracking especially if you drill out the holes to fit. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😄 Later,

I am 245 pounds and had my rims bored out for Schrader valves. I ride pretty hard and have had no problems. I was all go with the presta valves until I forgot my pump and my adapter. All while staring at the airchuck and the gas station. both schrader tubes the next day. Some guy commented I added add grams to my bike (Scott Aspect Trail 29er), My responds was, "at 245 pounds, gram don’t mean sh*t"!

"INDIANADAVE" wrote

Walmart had presta valve tubes. Go figure. Bought a couple and replaced the flat one. Rode as good as the Bontragers at 1/2 the price. The valve wouldn’t work with my adaptor for my air compressor though. Had to use my small bike pump for it.

If you don’t want to invest in a floor pump that fits presta, you can buy an adapter that goes on the valve so the schrader pump will fit.

With that said, it took me a few years to buy a nice floor pump, but I’d recommend getting one. These days the pump head typically fits both valve types.

+1 for a decent pump. It’s just one less thing to deal with when you have a good quality one that fits either valve type.

Agreed, as long as you do not forget your pump. The Serfas pump I bought works great, and better still it changes to what ever style valve you have. My mini pump you have to flip the guts around. I would rather not have to deal with that. However until I buy a $1000 bike or over. I keep my schraders

I as well bought a bike with presta. I found them to be a little annoying compared to schrader. I drilled a hole in the rims for them to be able to fit schrader. I ride often and haven’t had a problem.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.