Tubeless Wheel Recommendations

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am slowly upgrading my bike as I become a better rider and tubeless wheels are next on the agenda.  I am currently running a Raleigh Tokul 2 2016 1×9 650b with front 15mm QR axle.  I already have a set of tubeless ready Maxxis tires installed on the current wheelset.  I am looking for suggestion on a better wheel set with better hubs since mine aren’t great.  A set that will fit my current configuration and not break the bank would be preferred.  Thanks for your help.

From what my lbs told me any wheel can be tubeless it all matters on your tire if u want to save a whole lot get yourself a new set of treads my personal favorite is maxis minions DHR II

Definitely check out stans tubeless on price point, Jenson USA also on price point they have a great deal on Easton haven aluminum

It really depends on your budget.

Cheaper complete wheelsets aren’t going to have hubs that are that much better than yours. If you can swing it, getting a set of custom wheels built is the way to go. I’m a big fan of Hope’s hubs. They are decently light, have good engagement, and won’t break the bank. They are also easily adaptable to other standards, something to keep in mind if you change frames down the road. Pair them with some good aluminum rims like Stan’s or WTB’s and you’ll have a bomber set of wheels that will last you a very long time.

I would def plan on getting quality wheels and not being afraid of spending some money. Wheels are the best upgrade you can make on a bike so why waste your time with just okay wheels. Not just because they’ll be sweet, but you can transfer them to a future bike as long as you keep the old set. I’ve had a lot of success with DT especially in the tubeless category. Check out the DT 350 hubs. Easy to service, maintain, adapt and you can upgrade the ratchet for better engagemet. Depending on your builder options you’ll be in the neighborhood of $700-$800.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.