Tubeless Tires – Flat repairs on the trail

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been tubeless for the last 9 months. I didn’t have one single flat for 8 months, but have suddenly had two on the trail in the last month. My last flat was due to a puncture in the sidewall. It seemed to be a rather small puncture, but despite my attempts to spin and shake the sealant in the tire it just kept spewing and bubbling stan’s and wouldn’t seal up. I was extra frustrated since I had just had more stan’s added 3-4 weeks earlier. (Is that normal?) I carry a spare tube, but the idea of pulling apart the tubeless tire and valve stem with all that sealant getting all over everything sounds like a colossal mess I’d like to avoid if at all possible. That sidewall puncture resulted in fairly long hot hike out and cost me a whole new rear tire. So, short of resorting to putting in a tube, what else can I do to fix a tubeless flat on the trail to at least get me back to my car??

Also, on a sidenote because I am a bit perplexed why suddenly I’ve had two flats in a month and none before, I’ve wondered:
      1. Since both flats happened on VERY hot days (close to 100 degrees), does the extreme heat effect the ability of the sealant to work?

2. Could it be expected for the rear tire to be too worn after only 9 months? FYI, it was a Maxxis Ardent and I typically ride 3-4 times a week.

I’ve loved being tubeless, but this has shaken my confindence in them a little bit

Duct tape over the puncture will give the Stan’s something to seal to. My friend sealed a sidewall cut this way in Moab back in April and rode it that way for two weeks while he ordered a new tire.

Also, there’s a nice patch kit for this type of issue. I don’t remember the brand but I will look in my camelbak when I get home.

Guess I’ll keep my tubes. 😄 Later,

"maddslacker" wrote

Also, there’s a nice patch kit for this type of issue. I don’t remember the brand but I will look in my camelbak when I get home.

Someone recommended this patch kit to me when I went tubeless:
      http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … h+Kit.aspx

I just keep gorilla tape and a tube in my camelbak. If I can’t tape it, I’ll tube it. I have yet to have a flat while running tubeless and I’m not looking forward to the day it happens.

I definitely like the idea of using duct/gorilla tape. I also wondered about slapping a standard tube patch over it. I would think it would work on the sidewall, but not so sure about on the tread itself.

Anybody recommend some technics of what immediate action a tubeless rider should take when they hear that dreaded hissing sound? My LBS told me to spin the tire to move the sealant around. Any other suggestions?

I carry these:
      http://www.parktool.com/product/emergen … -boot-tb-2
      Never had to use one so I can’t say how it would work.

"propus" wrote

I carry these:
      http://www.parktool.com/product/emergen … -boot-tb-2
      Never had to use one so I can’t say how it would work.

I have these, and used it once. It worked. I wouldn’t look at it as a long term solution, but I was able to continue riding for the day.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.