tube blowout

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I have had 5 tubes blowout in a month at the base of the valve .I don’t know what I’m doing wrong i don’t overtighten the nut & i have tried leaving the nut off all together. i even tried replacing the tyre & tube. I thought that i could be underinflating so i have inflated to the recommended pressures on the tyre. They are good quality Maxxis tubes. Please help it’s starting to get expensive!

Is it a schrader or presta valve? It sounds like your tube might be slipping inside your tire.

If there’s a nut, I’m assuming these are presta? Either way there are a few things to consider:
      – Personally, I toss the nut. IMHO it’s more apt to cause damage at the base of the valve than prevent it. If you need it to get the pump on the valve, get tubes with longer stems.
      – Don’t worry about the tire, that’s not your problem if its failing there.
      – Examine the stem hole in the rim. You could a nasty edge or burr that’s cutting it.
      – Last but not least, try a different brand of tube. Every one is a bit different, and some perfectly respectable manufactures make flimsy, sh*tty tubes.

I have discovered, & treky92 is correct, that the tyre is either slipping on the rim or the tube is slipping inside the tyre, because at the end of a ride the presta valve is sometimes on an angle, thus i am assuming putting an unreasonable force onto the base of the stem where it meets the tube. It’s only taken me 10 tubes to discover this. Any idea anyone how to fix this problem? i thought it might have something to do with thin walled tyres as they appear to roll about a bit when cornering etc.
      Cheers

What tire pressure are you running? Besides possibly running more pressure, it should help if you put some baby powder or talc in the tire to prevent the slipping.

Sounds like a perfect need for a tubeless setup.

Another thing to consider: Are you sure your rims are made for Presta tubes and not Schraeder tubes? Schraeder rims have a larger hole for the valve stem to come through, and if you use a Presta tube with them the edges of the hole can really cut into your tube. Like TrOgdOr said, check the hole for any burrs or sharp edges too. The nut setup on Presta tubes should keep your tube from being able to shift inside the tire, but the larger Schraeder sized hole will allow the nut to slip partially inside and the tube will shift. I use Presta Slime Lite tubes that have a longer valve stem and I have zero problems with them. They also keep me from getting flats from cactus, thorns, etc… Good luck!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.