Trying to increase endurance to complete first triathlon

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Trying to increase endurance to complete first triathlon

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone,

I’m a college student and I usually only ride recreationally. I have a pretty strong base of endurance and strength, but recently my girlfriend challenged me by saying that I was not in good enough shape to participate in and finish a triathlon. (Not a full-length traditional triathlon, the distances are cut significantly.) I admit, I’m probably not quite there right now.

If I win the bet, she has agreed to buy me a new bike. But I need some serious help, as the triathlon is coming up in October and I am not in the physical condition I need to be.

What have you found to be best for endurance training when only having time to train in short intervals? My cardio needs some work. I’ve recently backed/pre-ordered a product called Elevation Training Mask that I heard MMA fighters use to simulate high-altitude training; version 2.0 is being launched on Fundable (http://www.fundable.com/training-mask) and says it can reduce workouts from 60 minutes down to 20 minutes, which would be ideal because of my busy schedule. Have you used any similar products? Do you have any other tools/tips?

Thanks!

Looks like Gorilla Marketing to me, but no haven’t used it, wouldn’t use it, not clicking on it. You want endurance, Train endurance. For Tri, unless your an excellent swimmer you can probably get the most bang for your buck in the H2O. Concentrate on Technic,and if it’s open water, you have to do some similar training. Learn to keep a straight line when there’s not one 3 feet in front of your face. On the bike, head up hill, use as much gear as it takes to red line, and keep going.

I have heard fro a tri-, there is the swim and then everything else. I am a swimmer during the summer month and do about 3-4 miles in the pool a week. I see a lot of fit looking people do a few laps and then climb out looking beat to h-e-double hockey stick. Make sure you can do the distance swim and still have plenty of energy to do the ride and run.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.