Truing

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

I just got back from a ride. It seems every time I go on a rough trail or take some drops my rear wheel needs trued. It isn’t real bad but just a slight wobble. I never tried to do it myself so I always have to take it to the LBS that is an hour away. That is too much money in gas and having a wheel trued every other week. SO, here are my questions. Is this normal? Esp. for a larger rider (278lbs.). Is it time to get new rims? Is it worth learning how to true them myself? and, Is it hard to true a wheel with average mechanical skill? I think that is about it.

Oh and by the way. Since I joined the site I’ve found everyone to be so pleasant. I joined a local bike forum to see what the people were like before I joined their bike club. They seem to have their own click and if your not part of it they don’t seem to be helpful. Thanks to everyone here for being so helpful and friendly. Good riding to you all!

No it’s not normal to have your wheel go out of true that frequently.

For your weight and riding style I would recommend something like a freeride rim. I have the WTB Dual Duty. I got them from Jenson USA for $89.99 for the pair, but sadly it seems they are sold out now.

As long as the rim is not bent, truing is relatively simple. There are a few tricks to it depending on how out of whack the rim is but it really only requires a spoke tool if nothing is damaged. You can flip the bike over and put a ziptie on the chainstay next to the rim for a cheap homemade truing stand.

Check this article out for instructional help on the actual truing process.

[url:3ujclzv6]http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=81[/url:3ujclzv6]

They mention several more tools as "neccessary" in this article but they really aren’t MUST HAVE items. They just make it easier for truing a [i:3ujclzv6]really[/i:3ujclzv6] bad rim.

PS- Normally, a rim won’t frequently go out of true unless you are riding it WAY too roughly OR it was poorly built in the first place.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

PS- Normally, a rim won’t frequently go out of true unless you are riding it WAY too roughly OR it was poorly built in the first place.

That’s my guess. Can you tell us what kind of rim it is? Who built it?

MATRIX Singletrack Pro

The 930 series bikes were designed and intended for light XC use. As such, the wheels won’t be as robust as many of the aftermarket types you can purchase. As long as the rim and spokes are not damaged, you should be able to easily true your current set and get rid of the wobble. At ~285lbs, even small drops and rocks could put more stress on your current wheels than they were intended to withstand. If you want to ride those types of trails without having to worry about retruing your wheels afterwards, follow Maddslacker’s advise and buy a set of freeride wheels. They will take a LOT more abuse. You should even think about going for a set with 36 spokes for added strength.

Anyone got any good suggestions for new wheels? Something that won’t break the bank but will take a beating.

I got my WTB Dual Duty wheelset at JensonUSA for $89 for the pair but they seem to be sold out.

I found them here, with different hubs for $71.98. It is not clear if that is for the set ofr for each wheel, so you’ll need to double-check.

At any rate, these are an exceptionally strong wheel and if you shop around a little you should be able to find them for around $100 like I did.

By the way, these work with either rim or disc brakes.

I also found them on ebay for $116.95.

Chilipepper,
      The dude weighs 285lbs, an extra pound of wheel ain’t gonna be a deal breaker. 😉

That being said, I can vouch for the fact that these are quite heavy on my Giant Trance trail bike. For what it’s worth, they are also REALLY hard to mount tires on.

Yeah, I was surprised too. The front is bad, the rear is downright horrible. And ironically they’re WTB tires too!

Thanks…I think I’ll go with the WTB Dual Duty wheels. I’ll give them a try and if I destroy them I won’t feel bad about replacing them. That is a good price if they are as tough as you say they are. The extra weight is not an issue for me. 😆

"ChiliPepper" wrote

That is too funny, but I am sure not for you though.

I’m just dreading having a flat on the trail!

"maddslacker" wrote

Chilipepper,
      For what it’s worth, they are also REALLY hard to mount tires on.

Its usually not the rim that makes it hard to mount tires on its the tire bead. A foldable bead will ususally be easier to mount than a non foldable wire bead. But of course its not always the case (exceptions to everything)

Agreed, but I have run these same tires on Alex and Mavic rims with no issue. These are just a bad combination I guess.

yep and that happens as well

Oh well…I like the combo enough to put up with it.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.