Trek vs Specialized vs Santa Cruz vs KHS vs Ibis vs everyone

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Trek vs Specialized vs Santa Cruz vs KHS vs Ibis vs everyone

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • Author

Who makes the best bikes and frames and what do you guys ride?

The killswitch? That one looks pretty fye! I ride a giant anthem x1 right now but I hope to have a Santa Cruz nomad by the end of the year! 😄

I ride a ibex ignition right now and truly love the bike. if moneys were no biggy then maybe an Ellsworth who knows so many great bikes out there.

I’ve got a Serotta Colorado HT in titainium. I had it built to the exact specs of my OCLV Trek. The bike handles perfect (good ol 26ers). The Serotta in Ti has much better feel than the Carbon Trek with the same geometry but the handling is spot on. Effective combination. 😄 Later,

"dozzerboy" wrote

Well since Giant most likely makes some models of three of those brands…

I have had good luck with my Specialized hardtail and my Giant full suspension.

Specialized, Specialized, Specialized!!!!

They were building mountain bikes when most of todays bike companies didn’t even exist. They have a deeped history of the sport than anybody else. The first production mountain bikes were built by Specialized, 30 years ago. They have enough models to cover everything from the beginner to the expert. There’s tons of great bikes out there, but Specialized has the history that nobody else can claim. For that, they get to wear the crown.

I’ve owned 5 Specialized bikes over the years. Starting in 1983 with a Stumpjumper. After it was stolen, I bought a 1984 Stumpjumper. It too was stolen in 1986. Ten years later I got a Rockhopper Comp and converted it to a street bike. It serves me well to this day. I have a 1997 Stumpjumper Comp that I rip through the trails with. It does everything I need it to, that’s why I never bought a newer one. Lastly, I have a museum quality 1985 Stumpjumper, my current favorite. It’s waxed more than it’s ridden, and it will never see the dirt.
      Any other bikes I buy from now until death will be Specialized.

I’ve only had two mtn bikes and now one road bike. My 1st bike was a rockhopper comp disc, 2007. I fell in love with riding. Specialized seem to be a pretty good brand and I got a deal on my 2009 Enduro so I stuck with them. I recently bought a Roubaix road bike and love that too.
      I would buy a Santa Cruz in a second if I got a good deal and was looking for another bike. Preferably a Nomad.
      My like is another mans dislike, so….

I’m a year new to this sport, and for my first bike, I bought a GF (Trek) Mamba 29’er. I think that it’s a pretty smooth ride, but hey… what do I know… I’m a noob and I haven’t tested any other. I guess the final factor for me was that the frame itself looked beefier than the Specialized that I looked at. I know that I’d like to look into a full suspension soon, and I don’t know if I should stay Trek, or go with someone else.

Head up to blankets creek when freeflite does a demo day to try out a full suspension ex 8 or remedy 8 or a GF hifi for free! Well worth the 2hr+ drive from Warner robins. 😄

where is this free flight? i’ll be looking for a new bike soon, as long as i get back into shape, and my job keeps giving me good hours. plus ride a trek remedy 8 for free hell yeah!

i live up near gainesville.

I’m riding a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper,it’s my second Mtn. Bike.My first Mtn Bike was an older steel frame Marin,Pine Mountain XC bike which was too big,although the steel frame always felt great.I would guess the year of that Marin to be around early 90’s or so,it had an old rock shox judy fork on it if I remember.I haven’t really ridden a lot of different bikes in order to say what I think is the best,although I know several years ago somone did a pretty good test to determine the strongest mtn bike frame out of the best known brands and the specialized won,pretty sure it as the demo frame that was the strongest.I like my stumpjumper,although I’m an 70’s BMX’er and am still used to a steel frame I guess,might end up with a steel frame for my next bike,been talkin about it for a little over a year now,hahaha.I think it’s hard to name a best bike,I mean,every brand has there own thoughts as to the best way to build a bike and that can only cater to a certain % of the masses buying bikes,let alone the rate of new bikes and ideas coming out on a yearly basis,the average rider can’t afford to ride eveything in order to draw a bead on the absolute best bike.The best bike out there is for the indevidule to decide.

Santa Cruz baby! New the carbon Nomads are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

"FBTrek321" wrote

where is this free flight? i’ll be looking for a new bike soon, as long as i get back into shape, and my job keeps giving me good hours. plus ride a trek remedy 8 for free hell yeah!

i live up near gainesville.

Just north of the Canton Road and Peidmont road intersection. It is in Marietta.

2949 Canton Road #1000
      Marietta, GA 30066
      Near intersection with Shaw Park Road

I like Specialized but then again thats the only brand Ive ever owned. (Im in school right now lol)

I started way back in 93 with a Giant Cadex, great hardtail bike with pretty decent specs for the time. Still have it as a frame, but went to a Mongoose (when they were still a bike shop bike) in 96, think it was the Hill Topper, respeced it to all XT components with a Rockshock Judy, loved that bike and rode it into the dirt, put a new Marzocci (sp) fork on it and sold it to invest in my first FS bike, a 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, respeced to all XTR and still have it to this day. Last year as a gift to myself I bought a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, fun bike but haven’t put to many miles on it yet. So I guess what I am saying is buy what you like, they are all good!!! I love my Specialized’s but would consider any of the manufactures listed, though I still dream about owing a Ellsworth Truth, just can’t pony up that much money! 😆

[i:qr83yeg3]Ellsworth.[/i:qr83yeg3] Truth and an Epiphany.

Right now i have a KHS hardtail but i really want a Santa Cruz blur LT or a Nomad.

I’m going to get a nomad with the Fox 180m talas RC2 on it. With the SPX am parts kit. Dude, it’s going to be sick!!!

I’m gonna go with Kona as one of my all-time favorite bike/frame builders.

Simple, reliable, tough, fun-to-ride, great geometry. Everything a mountain bike should be.

I currently own: ’02 Specialized BigHit, ’05 Kona Shred, ’08 Kona Dawg, ’96 DB Sorrento (Steelie),
      I have owned: ’94 Mongoose Threshold, ’95 Mongoose IBOC Comp SX, ’04 Kona Shred
      I have ridden: Too many to list, probably around 100 different hardtails/full suspension bikes in the past 15 years.

Trek and Specialized make great bikes, no doubt. But every time I’ve ridden one, I always felt it lacked something.

Santa Cruz builds phenomenal bikes too, I love the way the Nomad rides, and the Heckler is up among my all time favorite do it all bikes.

Never ridden a KHS. Ibis makes beautiful looking frames, never ridden one of those either.

Transition, Commencal, Banshee, and Rocky Mountain all deserve heaps of praise, too. Always been impressed by those four every time I swing my legs over one.

Ellsworth are decent, but I’ve always felt they were overpriced and I really can’t stand Tony Ellsworth’s attitude, so I would never buy one.

I don’t have much pedal time on a dw-link bike or a Knucklebox bike, I’ dlike to try them out some more.

SPECIALIZED 😉 all day

Hey MERCE006, Did you ever find your bike? Just asking. :?: Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

Thread jacking much?

"fat_billy" wrote

Not yet…but Im still searching heavily

"dozzerboy" wrote

[quote="fat_billy":2f4g9udn]Hey MERCE006, Did you ever find your bike? Just asking. :?: Later,

Thread jacking much?[/quote:2f4g9udn]

Its all part of "teh forums" etiquette to threadjack 😉

OK, JACK THIS! He said with kindness in his voice. LOL 😄 Later,

No love for Trek huh? Well I ride a 2011 Fuel Ex 8 and I compared it with a Stumpjumper and it kills it. The ABP technology on the rear really works when it comes to keeping my a$$ on the ground. Also the rear suspension design is incredible the DRCV shock on the rear is amazing its like ahving 2 shocks back there. Also the fox up front takes drops and rocks like there not even there but all the bikes have one of thsoe lol. Anyway I was really sold on the customer service I got from bicycle village when I picked up my Trek, I had a 2010 fuel ex 5 that i upgraded from and even that bike felt more controlling then the specialized. Not to knock them they are a great bike and a great bike company. I just got alot more bang for my buck with the trek. Also the BikeSource is the only place to buy a specialized in littleton and the salesman was so pushy i walked. Truth be told ur gonna get the same componenents roughly for each bike in the same price range, get the on that fits you the best, there all gonna ride slighty different with slightly different geometry. Theyre all awesome Santa Cruz are sweet!

"MtnBikeMike" wrote

No love for Trek huh? Well I ride a 2011 Fuel Ex 8 and I compared it with a Stumpjumper and it kills it. [color=#FF0000:g09cke4i]The ABP technology on the rear really works when it comes to keeping my a$$ on the ground.[/color:g09cke4i] Also the rear suspension design is incredible the DRCV shock on the rear is amazing its like ahving 2 shocks back there. Also the fox up front takes drops and rocks like there not even there but all the bikes have one of thsoe lol. Anyway I was really sold on the customer service I got from bicycle village when I picked up my Trek, I had a 2010 fuel ex 5 that i upgraded from and even that bike felt more controlling then the specialized. Not to knock them they are a great bike and a great bike company. I just got alot more bang for my buck with the trek. Also the BikeSource is the only place to buy a specialized in littleton and the salesman was so pushy i walked. Truth be told ur gonna get the same componenents roughly for each bike in the same price range, get the on that fits you the best, there all gonna ride slighty different with slightly different geometry. Theyre all awesome Santa Cruz are sweet!

That makes me think it doesn’t work 😛

"ltud" wrote

That makes me think it doesn’t work 😛

Lol I mean it keeps me glued to the ground! my rear tire that is!

My current steed is a Santa Cruz Superlight. This bike is converted to a 650B setup. Took a while to get my geometry comfy, but now its high steppin. (yea..im a tinkerer, and had to try it out..). This is my second Santa Cruz, and probally will not be my last! Ride what feels good, and change what doesnt. There are so many great bikes out there its utterly insane. Each has a unique feel and ride. Tis’ the season of demo days and I suggest you ride everything you can to experience the different feel.

Wow- now ain’t that a loaded question…..

Who’s the hottest actress?
      What’s the best beer?
      What’s the best dog breed?
      etc……

Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers.

Isn’t this what makes this country so great? We can have debates over toys that cost (in some cases) several thousand dollars.

My short veriosn answer would be – its hard to go wrong. So many manufacturers making excellent products. Whether or not they have been producing quality bike for 30 yrs or not is irrelevant. There are many engineers/builders/designers/welders/… that have worked for multiple companies (Pivot is a good example). I think my ride is the best, my buddies all think theirs is the best,,,some are on 29ers and some on 26ers…..it also depends on where you ride and how you ride.

Since this response is long enough I’ll say there’s my $0.05 worth.

I’ve just recently started riding a full suspension 29’er. I was skeptical for a long time due to only being 5’6" tall. But the Stumpjumper FSR comp. medium fits great and handles awesome. It’s like cheating.

WHAT????? no love for KHS?? I bought a KHS XCT 525 a few months back and have put it thru relentless torture (within it’s respective specs) and my only beef is there is no room for a water bottle mount with the rear susp. but then again thats why I own a camel bak. Any thoughts or opinions on KHS?

All hands down is the Santa Cruz or Intense, but I do have a love for the Specialized. Not a big Trek fan, and not very knowledgeable with Ibis, but KHS did make a sweet ride in the past.

My stall…We have a IH fleet (three bikes), a Mongoose, and a Mirraco these days, and very happy with them. Had others in the past.

I want a Intense Uzzi or the Nomad, but we will see.

Trek remedy nine. It rocks. Was riding trek 69r . I think that the best bike is what your riding.

The best bike is the one you want to ride the most. No amount of marketing, history, vibe or "soul" or anything else can replace the feeling you get when you throw a leg over the one that’s right for you.

I have two Yetis, a Rocky Mountain and a Cannondale. Can’t stand Specs, Treks, or Santas, but that doesn’t make them bad bikes.

"dozzerboy" wrote

I didn’t ask what’s your favorite bike guys… I just asked who made the best and what y’all ride.. 😉

Oh then that’s easy, Giant … and Giant!

"maddslacker" wrote

Oh then that’s easy, Giant … and Giant!

+1

Viewing 38 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.