Trek Remedy 7 vs Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Looking for an all-mountain bike below 3,000.00 and these two bike are the ones standing out. Can someone give me some recommendations between the two 2013 models.

I know the Remedy has about 10mm more travel and Deore components vs SRAM

Remedy
      [url:31pfise2]http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/technical_trail/remedy/remedy_7#[/url:31pfise2]

Stumpjumper FSR Comp
      [url:31pfise2]http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sjfsr/stumpjumperfsrcomp[/url:31pfise2]

Do you have a specific question?

The Specialized has a better components package and the autosag setup on the rear shock is pretty nifty.

My personal preference if I were in the market for a new 26" "trail" bike. I would be getting a Norco Sight:
      [url:3ebnxl5g]http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/trail/sight/[/url:3ebnxl5g]

I’m actually heavily considering selling my 29er for the 650b version of that bike.

Here goes the pre-canned answer: Get on each of the bikes and see which one feels better.

I don’t know much about the Trek but I can speak for the Stumpy. My wife and another friend of mine both ride the FSR Comp (closer to $2000 I think) and they love it! I’ve ridden it myself and the FSR suspension that Specialized patented is pretty amazing. It is almost impossible to get the rear tire to lose it’s grip no matter how steep the climb or how far forward you’re leaning. It really excels in the snow too. I’d say you probably can’t go wrong either way – definitely try them out before you buy. Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys.

Mtbgreg, I’m still relatively new to mtb though I’ve ridden bike my entire life.
      From a component standpoint, just unsure which bike was best. So many variables to consider.

"WestVirginiaMTBR" wrote

Thanks for the info guys.

Mtbgreg, I’m still relatively new to mtb though I’ve ridden bike my entire life.
      From a component standpoint, just unsure which bike was best. So many variables to consider.

Generally, you tend to get what you pay for, and since these bikes are pretty close in pricepoint, they’re speced pretty similarly (though of course there are some differences). You will note that jtorlando said:

The Specialized has a better components package and the autosag setup on the rear shock is pretty nifty.

And trouttrunnell said:

I’ve ridden it myself and the FSR suspension that Specialized patented is pretty amazing.

And that the Specialized is a little more expensive than the Giant. These are probably a couple of reasons for that.

I ride the Remedy and my buddy rides the Stump, both are great bikes and you truly can not go wrong with either. Personally prefer the Remedy and think the rear on it is set up better and love the DRVC shock in the front. I would compare the front and rear shock systems more than components as this will effect you more- partly because the components are so simular and easily changed. Debated between these two bikes myself and as a previous post stated- get on both of them and you will know which fits you better. Good luck and don’t worry too much 2 great bikes by 2 great companies.

Giant Trance X1 isn’t a bad option either.
      [url:1d3b1wxq]http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.x1/11515/55875/#specifications[/url:1d3b1wxq]

Ridden both. Love both. Specialized has a lifetime frame warranty if you buy one new…a nice advantage. I think Trek is now 5 years.

Giant is lifetime also.

Check the fine print on warranties. I broke the frame of my Trek and they had me a new bike within a week. A buddy of mine broke the frame on his Specialized and it took 6 months, a couple hundred dollars and several emails to the Specialized corporate office before he could ride again. In my experience, both of the bikes are great, but customer service after the sale is on Trek’s side.

"delphinide" wrote

I think Trek is now 5 years.

It’s lifetime for the frame, but not for the swing.
      Trek has a lot execptions from the warranty, dunno about te others

Trek warranty

So due to unavailabilty of the Remedy 7 and unwillingness of local Specialized dealer to bring in a Stumpy before I made a final decision, I went with the Remedy 8. After some more research, I think the $200.00 price jump from Remedy 7 to 8 may be a blessing in disguise.

The 8 comes with all SLX components and Shimano SLX brakes instead of Deore components and Avid Juicy 3 brakes.

Also comes with DRCV suspension on front and rear instead of only rear on the 7.

Looking forward to picking my bike up this week. First full suspension I have owned although I’ve ridden a few here and there. Will be a gamechanger for sure. Ready to hit some downhill at Snowshoe Mountain in WV!!!

"WestVirginiaMTBR" wrote

So due to unavailabilty of the Remedy 7 and unwillingness of local Specialized dealer to bring in a Stumpy before I made a final decision, I went with the Remedy 8. After some more research, I think the $200.00 price jump from Remedy 7 to 8 may be a blessing in disguise.

The 8 comes with all SLX components and Shimano SLX brakes instead of Deore components and Avid Juicy 3 brakes.

Also comes with DRCV suspension on front and rear instead of only rear on the 7.

Looking forward to picking my bike up this week. First full suspension I have owned although I’ve ridden a few here and there. Will be a gamechanger for sure. Ready to hit some downhill at Snowshoe Mountain in WV!!!

Definetely worth $200 to get the 8. Enjoy!!!

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.