TREK Marlin for XC Racing

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I am currently strapped for cash and was wondering if the 13Trek Marlin could be used to race. I want a 29er and found that the Marlin is in my current price range. I understand that I can upgrade components later on. I am planning in racing about 15 races a year in the 10-15mile range

I would look into the Airborne Guardian in that price range if you’re going to be doing any kind of competitive racing. Not that Trek makes a bad bike; I have a ’13 Mamba and absolutely love it. But for the money, you’re getting a much more competitive component level out the gate with the guardian than with the marlin. Plus the marlin is said to have hub issues in wet/muddy conditions. Just my .02 😀

was wondering if the 13Trek Marlin could be used to race.

What do you mean by "could be used to race"? I think any bike can be used in a race. Is it going to be the fastest bike you could race on? No. You can always spend more money… if you want a competitive cross country race bike, look to start your spending at about $4,000-$5,000 or so, and then work UP from there.

But of course, you don’t need to spend that much on a bike to enter a race. Make sure whatever bike you do own is in good operating condition, and then go for it!

"craigasaurus" wrote

I would look into the Airborne Guardian in that price range if you’re going to be doing any kind of competitive racing. Not that Trek makes a bad bike; I have a ’13 Mamba and absolutely love it. But for the money, you’re getting a much more competitive component level out the gate with the guardian than with the marlin. Plus the marlin is said to have hub issues in wet/muddy conditions. Just my .02 😀

But the 13 Marlin and 13 Mamba basically have the same hubs! I have not had any problem out of my Marlin at all to date. I am nearing up on 1800 miles. If you are considering this bike for racing though, first off the tires suck real badly. So get some new ones installed right off the bat and save the junk originals as spares. Second the coil front fork will not treat you that great and is god awful heavy, but you can get a hell of a replacement from SrSuntour with their customer loyalty program for under $270 that will be as good as any of the other $700+ forks out there! Also the wheels will need to be replaced when you get a chance, it would be better to go with a tubeless wheel set anyways!

The two inarguable truths are you can race any bike and you can milk anything with nipples.

"schwim" wrote

The two inarguable truths are you can race any bike and you can milk anything with nipples.

LMAO!

[quote="Stl_GreaserBut the 13 Marlin and 13 Mamba basically have the same hubs! I have not had any problem out of my Marlin at all to date. I am nearing up on 1800 miles. If you are considering this bike for racing though, first off the tires suck real badly. So get some new ones installed right off the bat and save the junk originals as spares. Second the coil front fork will not treat you that great and is god awful heavy, but you can get a hell of a replacement from SrSuntour with their customer loyalty program for under $270 that will be as good as any of the other $700+ forks out there! Also the wheels will need to be replaced when you get a chance, it would be better to go with a tubeless wheel set anyways![/quote]

Yea… after discussing a bit with my LBS apparently this problem was solved with the last update. I have had my Mamba in some pretty wet/muddy stuff at first landing and have yet to have any problems. Good call

"schwim" wrote

…at the same time?

Wow… 😆

"schwim" wrote

"I have nipples Greg, could you milk me?" 😼

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="schwim":1o2vk15x]The two inarguable truths are you can race any bike and you can milk anything with nipples.

"I have nipples Greg, could you milk me?" 😼[/quote:1o2vk15x]

How did I get drug into this nipple-milking conversation? 😆

That’s a movie reference. I’m surprised you didn’t recognize it.

"maddslacker" wrote

That’s a movie reference. I’m surprised you didn’t recognize it.

Ah I knew it sounded oddly familiar.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="schwim":288cfbuv]The two inarguable truths are you can race any bike and you can milk anything with nipples.

"I have nipples Greg, could you milk me?" 😼[/quote:288cfbuv]
      OMG I think I puked in my mouth a little! 😮

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.