Trek Fuel EX9 vs Remedy 9

Tagged: ,

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys! never owned a trek before and im asking for help choosing a fuel ex 9 or remedy 9. I know that id rather have the weight and uphill capabilities of the fuel ex, but I really don’t know what it can handle as a XC bike. I know the remedy is an all-mountain, but what kind of abuse can an ex 9 (alum frame) stand up to? I guess what I am most worried about is drops. I occasionally do rough terrain and sometimes drops of 3 feet or more, even on concrete when i ride urban, and didn’t know if that would kill an ex 9… help plz?

Hey man! Trek makes an excellent set of bikes. As per your question, it really depends on what build you are as to if you can do drops. Are you big as in heavy or are you like me, short and skinny? The remedy can definately take it better with the 150mm of travel compared to the ex9’s 130mm but the geometry on the remedy makes it’s headtube angle more slack/raked out, slower to respond, and more prone to bounce around on the uphills. Also, the remedy is built much more burly than the EX. Which means more weight/not as easy to pedal up hills. It really boils down to what kind of riding you will do more. Xc or more freeridish?

See thats the problem I do both haha. I mean I weigh it at 140 lbs 5’11 so im not really a big guy… but i do like to take a bike downhill a lot. I like ledges and getting air and u know… im just not sure if the ex can handle that with the more sleek frame and 120mm travel… In all honesty im pulling towards the ex because i do like that it is lighter and a lil qwiker to get up to speed, its just im worried about maxing out the suspension on either the fork or the rear and doing damage to either the frame or suspension.

"camair2112" wrote

See thats the problem I do both haha. I mean I weigh it at 140 lbs 5’11 so im not really a big guy… but i do like to take a bike downhill a lot. I like ledges and getting air and u know…

Sound like a tipical mountain biker to me! Tall/skinny and likes to get the rubber of the ground as much as possible. 😎

I would do the same if I were you. If you were a little afraid of bottoming out the suspension. You could always add a little bit more air pressure to stiffen your suspension.

i would have to say unless it was on a trail, it would probably be a flat landing.

I also forgot to ask where you live. Like what state? That would help too.

Ah.. the flat old midwest… Missouri to be exact. I kinda have to make my own fun as far as finding stuff to ride. I know several places, and castlewood is a fav of mine, but I mean ive even gone so far as to do what I call urban free-ride (the drops I was talking about such as stair cases and ledges) on concrete and everything not nice to my frame haha

Yup. I’m down here in Georgia. If I were you, I would go with the ex9. Because Missouri is more flat than say, Colorado. So you wouldn’t need as much reinforcement on the frame. But the final decision is yours my friend. Just trying to guide you around. Let me know what you decided to go with.

Happy riding!

Thanks a million… yeah once I make a decision I’ll be sure to let you know. And thanks again for the help… every bit helps

One more thing. You can also "help" your suspension out by soaking some of the impact from drops with your legs.

"camair2112" wrote

Thanks a million… yeah once I make a decision I’ll be sure to let you know. And thanks again for the help… every bit helps

No problem. I was once in your shoes. I was debating on what to get a month ago. But I decided to get a giant anthem x1 frame since I’m planning on racing. And I built it up. Pretty fun activity that kept me busy for about 2 weeks. It weighs in at around 29 lbs but I’m trying to get it down to 25 lbs.

Camair,

As an owner of an EX 9 I can say that I am very confident in it’s ability to take some big hits, and I’m no small rider at 200 lbs. The EX line is really a trail bike so it falls between XC and All-mountain. I think the frame is very solid and I would not question taking a 3 foot drop on it. The uphill capability is definitely excellent and it bombs down technical descents. I considered the Remedy as well, but there just isn’t enough downhill where I live to need the stronger and heavier frame. To me it sounds like the EX would be able to handle the kind of riding you want to throw at it.

So much help! Thanks you guys… and yeah I was pulling for the ex all along I just didn’t know if my retarded self would kill it 😀… Now that I know an EX can fare better than I thought I think I will go with the fuel ex 9. And to dozzer: yeah I really like to watch the "bike-to-me" weight ratio, and I’d kill for a carbon frame (who wouldnt haha) and that’s why im going with the ex 9 over the ex 8… a whole pounds difference! And not to mention the fox 32 rlc / deore xt upgrade 😃

"camair2112" wrote

So much help! Thanks you guys… and yeah I was pulling for the ex all along I just didn’t know if my retarded self would kill it 😀… Now that I know an EX can fare better than I thought I think I will go with the fuel ex 9. And to dozzer: yeah I really like to watch the "bike-to-me" weight ratio, and I’d kill for a carbon frame (who wouldnt haha) and that’s why im going with the ex 9 over the ex 8… a whole pounds difference! And not to mention the fox 32 rlc / deore xt upgrade 😃

I’m not sure how set you are on the XT components, RP23 and RLC fork. You may consider the EX 9.7 it’s about the same price and you get carbon for the main frame, just with lesser components.

If you like the drops. Dont go carbon. Yeah, I am 15 years old and weigh 110lbs and I am 5′-4". I would go through a carbon frame a month.

Also, I worry about the bike to me ratio too. I don’t want to have a bike that weighs 30% as much as I do. That would kill my bunny hops and ability to get the rubber off the ground.

"dozzerboy" wrote

Also, I worry about the bike to me ratio too. I don’t want to have a bike that weighs 30% as much as I do. That would kill my bunny hops and ability to get the rubber off the ground.

Wow, that ratio would put me on a 60 lb bike…does such a thing even exist?

"maddslacker" wrote

Wow, that ratio would put me on a 60 lb bike…does such a thing even exist?

Yeah I weigh 105ish pounds so a 30% ratio would be a 31.5 pound bike.

yeah actually im going to stick with aluminum. the reason is a) drops and b) i think the XT and RLC are worth it.

I own both a 2009 EX8 and a 2009 Remedy9. If you are under 200lbs go with the EX. The Remedy is really a stout bike, I am 6’2" 260 and I give my Remedy hell on downhill runs and it just keeps begging for more. If I can hardly over ride the capacity of that bike, I think at your size you would be hard pressed to justify the weight and expense of the Remedy9.

Go with the EX9.

I just finished a memoriable weekend in Moab with a rented Remedy 7. That bike is a beast compared to my EX 9 at home, and not necessarily in a good way. The Remedy was definitely the right choice for bombing down porcupine rim from Hazard TH. It was also a pain to force it up the hills on slick rock and every other trail for that matter. While I did enjoy the extra travel and weight on the massive down hill I think that the EX would have been able to handle porcupine rim without any trouble.

After riding both I think the EX is an all around more versatile bike.

If i were, however, to get a remedy, would it be stupid to put xc shimano m770s on it?

pedals of course

"jboyd122" wrote

I just finished a memoriable weekend in Moab with a rented Remedy 7. That bike is a beast compared to my EX 9 at home, and not necessarily in a good way. It was also a pain to force it up the hills on slick rock and every other trail for that matter.

After riding both I think the EX is an all around more versatile bike.

How was the weight comparison to your EX? I understand its gonna be heavier, but was it all that much noticeable?

I’m not sure what the Remedy weighed in at, but I do know my EX 9 is 27.8 lbs. I would guess that the Remedy I rode was ~5 lbs heavier and it was obvious. Also the Remedy had wider, nobbier tires at 2.3" as opposed to my 2.1" XC tires I run on my EX. The combination of the weight and tires plus the slacker geometry just made it tough to climb. With the right tires and lighter components on the Remedy I’m certain the tank like feel could be tuned out. Even so I really don’t think that the Remedy in it’s current iteration is as good of an all around trail bike as the EX. The Remedy really feels like a more downhill oriented trail bike.

I had a little bit of that buyers remorse hanging over my head after my EX 9 purchase. The main reason I rented the Remedy for Moab was to really get a feel for what I missed by not getting the Remedy. After spending a couple long days on the Remedy I am incredibly happy about my EX decision. These are just my thoughts and I would expect you would want to demo both bikes before you made a final decision.

"camair2112" wrote

If i were, however, to get a remedy, would it be stupid to put xc shimano m770s on it?

If you like riding clipless than go for it. I rode with my Shimano clipless pedals on the Remedy all weekend and it was great. This really comes down to personal preference.

Viewing 24 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.