Transition Trans Am 29er

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Man you gotta love a new bike!

The frame: pure steel 29er hardtail goodness (in blue) from the folks at Transition Bikes in Ferndale, Washington.

The build: (courtesy of the good folks at Free Flight Bikes, Marietta GA) Sram XO 2×10 drive train, Reba RLT Ti fork, Shimano SLX brakes (so quiet), riding on Stans Arch (white) with Hope Pro II hubs (red)

The verdict after the first few rides: 27 lbs of smile inducing, trail eating, climb-like-a-goat, hard tail steel bruiser sweetness.

Slowly getting the ride dialed in, so glad I went with steel again, other frame material choices just didn’t seem to ride right.

Now if only this Georgia winter rain would quit! She sure looks great in the garage but even better out on the trails!

Pics or you’re making it up. 😼

Man, you can’t post a topic like this and not include pics. That’s sacrilege.

Gadzooks! You both have a point. I need to post pictures….how does one do that?
      Until I figure that one out, close your eyes…..imagine…..yes, that’s it, the shiny blue one parked between the lawn mower and the kid’s Treks. 😄 😄

Sounds like a sweet ride, hope that weather clears up so you can get out and rip it!!

As for posting pics, mtbgreg1 wrote up a nice tutorial found HERE.

"slipfinger" wrote

Sounds like a sweet ride, hope that weather clears up so you can get out and rip it!!

Ok thanks, here goes:
      OMG it worked!
      She so shiny….

Very nice but waaaaaaay too clean. You know what to do ;)

"jamis29er" wrote

[quote="slipfinger":usq7huoh]Sounds like a sweet ride, hope that weather clears up so you can get out and rip it!!

Ok thanks, here goes:
      OMG it worked!
      She so shiny….[/quote:usq7huoh]

Gorgeous looking bike!! I second schwim, get ‘er dirty!

BTW, glad my little tutorial was helpful! 😀

For those of you who don’t already know, there is a good back story to this bike. On top of the cool [i:3rrhbrgd]new [/i:3rrhbrgd]ride, the original frame was saved and lives on.

"jamis29er" wrote

After much bending and rebending of her frame the rear dropouts almost line up, some new paint to cover the raw steel where her old paint was torn off, Velocity rims in bright orange, red grips, and a Surly single speed kit….my Dragon 29er rides again!

Her reincarnated single speed version may not win any build contests but hey, alls well that ends well……

Double Win.

Talk about 2 for the price of one! How does the tranny ride? Looks like a sweet setup.

"dozzerboy" wrote

Talk about 2 for the price of one! How does the tranny ride? Looks like a sweet setup.

She is sweet, and rides great. Very responsive, climbs like a crazed mountain goat and she can really rip on descents. Trying to find a good front tire for her, need the perfect blend of grip and speed. Running a Michelin xc tubeless and the grip is ideal but the rolling resistance is huge. 32 psi reduces the rolling resistance some but I like running lower pressures. Was running a Bontrager team issue but it had no grip in any wet or slick conditions, fast tire though.

Found the Reba is just right with 120 psi in both chambers, less psi and I come close to bottoming out.
      Wish I had more time in the day to ride. I would recomend the Trans Am to anyone looking for a steel 29er, the Trans Am also comes as a 26er but I haven’t ridden one.

I was lookin at this bike last night at a LBS here,cept they didnt have one in stock quite yet,was lookin online at the bike shop, so I’m gonna go back when they do get one and check it out some more.Looks like a cool bike,I think I WANT another steel frame,makes the mouth water dont it.. 😄

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.