Trail Status Option

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Under the trail status updates, is it possible to put another option in the drop down menu? Up here in the northern Midwest we have freeze thaw conditions. Basically the trails are fine in the early morning and late evening because it is cold enough to freeze, but during the day the trails turn really muddy due to melting. Thanks!

Anyone?

Jeff and I talked about this the other day, and I think it’s a good idea. Not sure on what the time frame for implementing it will be…

Done.

Yeah, Greg and I talked about this a couple weeks ago and it’s a great idea! Added "Frozen" and "Groomed" statuses. I’m thinking "Groomed" could cover a number of scenarios: leaves blown off trail in the fall, snow packed down for fatbiking, or even wetted to control dust (some resorts do this).

Oh, one note: we’ll have to wait until we update the mobile app to incorporate the new statuses on the phone.

"jeff" wrote

Done.

Yeah, Greg and I talked about this a couple weeks ago and it’s a great idea! Added "Frozen" and "Groomed" statuses. I’m thinking "Groomed" could cover a number of scenarios: leaves blown off trail in the fall, snow packed down for fatbiking, or even wetted to control dust (some resorts do this).

Oh, one note: we’ll have to wait until we update the mobile app to incorporate the new statuses on the phone.

I think these are great additions!

However, I think treky92 was specifically referring to freeze/thaw conditions in his post, which are pretty tricky. In those conditions, the trails are generally frozen and good to ride in the morning, but turn to mush and are not good to ride in the afternoon.

I guess I’m wondering: do we need a separate status for that or not? Treky92, what do you think?

I mean… yeah. You would almost need to integrate current weather conditions onto the trail pages to really capture that dynamic.

But I imagine most folks just hit Accuweather to see if temps are above/below freezing at the trail and plan accordingly. The hour-by-hour forecasts on the weather sites are particularly helpful in those situations.

You would almost need to integrate current weather conditions onto the trail pages to really capture that dynamic.

Yeah, that seems like it might be a bit much 😀

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Yeah, that seems like it might be a bit much 😀

Yep, overkill.

Personally I think the key to making the existing trail statuses useful (and accurate) is to get more folks to use them–religiously.

Imagine if everyone updated the status every time they hit the trail (not gonna happen but go with me here). So the early morning riders update the status saying the trail is frozen. But then the FIRST rider who arrives to find the trails thawed will change the status to wet. The status will stay "wet" until the first rider of the evening finds the trails are frozen again. If dozens of folks ride the trail that day, the status will be correct for all of them except two (first mud rider and first frozen rider).

That’s pretty much the best we can do, right? Aside, I guess, from predicting conditions. 😀 Still, nothing says you can’t update the status at the beginning AND end of your ride if conditions do change while you’re at the trail.

From a trail preservation standpoint, this would actually work well. No more than 1 or 2 folks would "mistakenly" ride the trail before the status is corrected.

But all of this is little consolation if you’re one of the riders who gets to the trail at the moment conditions change. 😀

Imagine if everyone updated the status every time they hit the trail (not gonna happen but go with me here).

Usage seems like it will be the key. If all singletracks members were using the trail status update religiously, I think that would make a world of difference! But I know that even I get lazy about it 😳

But perhaps this may change in the near future…

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.