Trail Rankings

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Ive been seeing a lot of "Trail Bashing" due to what I think is the way Singletracks is set up to rate a trail. ie the most recent comment on Markum Park in Sunrise, Fl. On one hand I agree with the guy that trails in South Florida don’t compare with trails out west or up north with long climbs or sweet downhills… so I see his point on how does a Florida trail beat out a Colorado trail? But I believe every trail no matter where it is has its Highs and its Lows. I cut my teeth on Markum years ago when I 1st started riding at the ripe old age of 42… it kicked my ass, true not many big climbs or drops… but sugar sand, roots, rocks, heat, and humidity… its tough and technical in its own right… it is what it is. It was built with blood and sweat of Volunteers… if not for them where the hell would we ride? I guess my point is…. Who cares what ranking a trail has? Don’t bash a trail because of a number. My # 1 aint going to be your #1. Be happy you have a trail to ride where ever you are… be it in Florida or Colorado. I just moved back to Florida(Tampa) from Georgia and yes I do miss the trails up there, but now I have a new set… Carter Road, Alifia, Balm Boyette, etc that at 53 are going to kick my ass thank you very much! And thank you to the Clubs and Volunteers that make all this happen.

We do rank trails by state and we’re working on a way to display the state ranking, as well as the national ranking, on each trail page. Here’s the list for Florida:

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bi … hp?state=9

Of course the rankings themselves will always be up for debate – it’s just a mathematical formula that does the choosing after all. What makes it cool is that the list opens up a conversation about what trails are ACTUALLY the best ones in the state/country!

Yeah, Its all up to the people that rank them. Also, an issue that I’ve noticed is that if more people have ridden a trail and have rated it, it ranks really high on these lists. That doesn’t necessarily mean its the best trail, though. Sometimes theres a beautiful trail hidden way out away from any big population centers that gets little traffic but is absolutely stellar, but since very few people have ridden it it won’t rank high.

Whatever the case is, I think they way to solve the issue is to just go ride ALL the trails for yourself and make up your own mind 😄

Same here , I try to rank the trail for the area I’m in. Also sometimes in the the review I’ll state why I gave It a 4 instead of a 5. The ranking is just one piece of info to use when looking for a trail.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.