Trail maps – GPS data

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone (I’m sure someone does) know if the trail maps on Singletracks are based on GPS data? And are they complete maps, or just the parts of the park that someone has ridden? I’m looking to upgrade my membership for the trail maps, but I wanted to be sure they were complete.

Thanks for all your time

The trail maps (from what I understand) are USER submitted, STAFF verified GPS data sets. So, you are correct in the fact that there might be trails within a park that will not be covered in the GPS. Most likely the GPS dataset (gpx file) will not include ALL of the trails within a park because they are created by a user riding the route. However, often it is the most popular trail submitted – so if you are unfamiliar to the area it might be a good place to start

As for upgrading – if you are not comfortable reading maps (or there are none) and you want to make sure you do not get lost 5-10-15 miles from your vehicle, it could be worth it.

TangoTL

Thanks TangoTL,

I thought they were just the portions that some one has ridden. I was looking for the complete trail systems (park) so that I can plan trips and pick the better trails to ride. I may have to just choose a trail and just explore the areas around it to get all the other supplemental trails in that park.

Thanks for your input.
      mike

In general you can see if an entire singletracks trail has been mapped by the "Partial" and "Complete" icons on your state map page. Here’s the link to the Colorado map page.

In some cases newer trails within a trail system may not be mapped yet but we do try to keep the maps updated based on user feedback. Large "network" type trails are more likely to be missing certain trails but the maps usually cover the bulk of a given system. All GPS data is available for download in multiple formats (GPX, KML, and TCX).

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.