Trail Builders Fight Off Feral Hogs

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Trail Builders Fight Off Feral Hogs

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2009 … ?p=1&tc=pg

The San Felasco Hammock Preserve trails, one of my favorite systems due to it’s relative short distance from home and because of it’s sheer mileage (40-50 miles round trip), has been suffering a MAJOR feral hog problem. Since hogs like to root into the ground, parts of the trail have been practically demolished. Trail builders have been so swamped with repairing these new problems that normal maintenance like clearing fallen trees has begun to pile up. Hopefully this won’t be the end for the trail system but since it’s cost nearly $5000 in damages just in the last 2 months it doesn’t sound too good. What makes it worse is that these problems are the result of some hog farmer’s poor decision to release his hogs and not from normal natural causes. Such…a…bummer.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen to their favorite "local" trail?

"limetownjack" wrote

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20090913/ARTICLES/909131010?p=1&tc=pg

The San Felasco Hammock Preserve trails, one of my favorite systems due to it’s relative short distance from home and because of it’s sheer mileage (40-50 miles round trip), has been suffering a MAJOR feral hog problem. Since hogs like to root into the ground, parts of the trail have been practically demolished. Trail builders have been so swamped with repairing these new problems that normal maintenance like clearing fallen trees has begun to pile up. Hopefully this won’t be the end for the trail system but since it’s cost nearly $5000 in damages just in the last 2 months it doesn’t sound too good. What makes it worse is that these problems are the result of some hog farmer’s poor decision to release his hogs and not from normal natural causes. Such…a…bummer.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen to their favorite "local" trail?

Definitely not to this extent, but we do have feral pigs up here in Dahlonega. They tend to travel the creek bottoms, and every now and then we can see where they’ve been on the trails digging around, but none of the damage has been so bad that it needed major repair work…. that’s crazy! Hopefully you guys can get this sorted out!

Bacon bacon bacon.

Thats some crazy stuff. We don’t have feral hogs in Virginia that I know of. Occasionally a bear will turn rocks and logs over in the trail. I’ve seen what skunks can do in my yard with their snouts, I can only imagine the damage a critter 10 times that size would do. Got any pictures of the damage you could post up?

We supposedly have hogs within 20 miles of two trail locations here in TN, but I have yet to see any on site evidence of any hogs. Pending any restrictions on such activity where the trails are, in most states it’s legal to kill wild hogs year around. If it’s a major problem, it may be worth while to talk to the land manager to see if there is a course of action that can be taken to eliminate the problem. Remember, they’re still hogs. Ham. Bacon. Pork chops. Yum. It’s a bummer that they’re a problem, but hopefully there’s a good solution for you.

That is crazy stuff. I wonder where all that bacon is going once they euthanize them?

The singletrack portion of Chestnut in the Tanasi trail system gets obliterated every year. It’s so bad that some of the trail shifts to the left a foot or so in a single season as the boars demolish the lower edge of the bench cut on the hillsides.

I would say shoot the hogs.Then a bbq – pig roast to raise money to make the repairs and support the local club… Maybe a prize for biggest hog put down to get some more hunters in the area! Who doesn’t like a pig roast.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.