Trail Bikes – So much has changed!

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Trail Bikes – So much has changed!

--
SHARES

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  bikerboy15 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Sooo… Hi

Im Will, I used to ride downhill on a Cove Shocker about 4-5 years ago. Havent touched a bike since but now returning to bikes because of fitness and well bikes are fun and I feel like spending money.

So have read a few Australian Reviews and Pinkbike reviews and Singletracks reviews on 130mm-140mm trail bikes and looking at personal thoughts.

I have about $4000AUD (or $3000USD) to spend on a new Trail bike, so far YT Jeffsy AL1 and the Canyon Spectral AL7 both look great for the price but I also had a look at the brands I know used to be good, Giant, Trek, Yeti, Kona and all seem to be either way out of my price range or not as good as spec as the YT/Canyon.

So the question good SingleTracks people am I missing any good brands?

Cheers

Will

lots of great bikes out there now.. I tested a bunch this last few months. My favorite bikes it that range are the Giant Trance 2, Giant reign 2, and the Cannondale bad habit 2.

Yup…. Specailized and Norco! The Stumpjumper and Optic are sweet bikes. Also check out Santa Cruz….. Just my $0.02…..    🙂

I actually test road the Santa Cruz Bronson too, great bike but expensive.

A good bike with your wanted amount of suspension could be the Specialized camber. This is a great bike.

The bottom spec Bronson is just at his price limit… but agreed fairly expensive bike….

I really like my Intense , I picked it up a 2015  last summer at a big discount. They have a very similar VPP suspension design to Santa Cruz, it might actually be the same suspension design. I’ve read that Intense licensed the VPP design from SC for some of their previous year bikes, not sure about mine though. So if your looking for the same feel at a discount it might be the way to go.

I’m a huge fan of my Kona process 134, it is such a fun bike. The base model (which I have) comes with a Rockshox sektor fork which isn’t terribly good, but that’s the only real weakness on the bike I’ve found.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks for all the input guys. I went and checked out a few of the suggestions.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Then I found out an old DH mate has last year Canyon Spectral 7EX (I think) and I had a quick spin. I was sold. Ordered a Canyon Spectral 6.0 EX yesterday and order was confirmed overnight. Should be here sometime between the 6 and 10th of March.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Now to play the waiting game. And buy a new helemt, and shoes…. and….</p>

Hmmm @Pseudomugil I have the Sektor on my full sus and it isn’t too bad actually! Wonder why you think it isn’t that good……..?? I guess it isn’t as “high tech” as other forks…..

@Spookyshoes good stuff have fun on your new steed! Happy trails

Cheers   😀