Tour de France

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Tour de France

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

What’s up guys….anyone else watching and enjoying it??? I know our version of cycling is in the mountains and on singletrack trails, but does anyone else like to watch The Tour??? I love it!!!! Especially when they’re passing the great, beautiful hillsides, medieval castles, homes, etc…I’m not real knowlegdeable about cycling on such as The Tour de France, I just know that i love watching it….and it somewhat motivates me and gets me excited to go ride!!!! LOLOL I would love to be able to get up to 20-25 miles an hour on one of those lightweight bikes….lololol….i just don’t understand how those guys can go 120 miles a day….i mean daaaaaaaaaamnn….those cyclists have to be the most cardiovascular fit athletes in the world!!!!! I don’t know how they do it, and i would love to!!!

I follow thge TDF but I’m into bikes (no matter if they are on or off road). Those guys are incredible cruising at 35 mph for the entire day. I hope Lance has a strong showing regardless of how he finishes (although winning would be awesome).

I am not a roadie but enjoy watching it.

i do have one question on timing. Do the riders get individual times when they come in as a group? I noticed a few days ago when the break away of 25+ riders finished they all got the same time, same with when the peloton finished.

some day i’ll join Devin on the "dark side" and buy a road bike.

BFD

I think the break down of the riders times goes like this…
      There are individual time trial days where you set your own time early in the race, and there are team time trial days where you work to bring your overall team time up.
      As far as peleton race days, if everybody starts at 00,00 and there’s a break away of three riders that stays ahead of the pack for the entire race; the break away riders may finish at 30,00 and the peleton finish at 30,03… everyone in the break away will have finished 3 minutes ahead of the entire field and there time will reflect as much based upon what their individual time was at the start of the race.
      However, if you stay with the pack you’re time doesn’t change in regard to the rest of the field, you just add time to your individual time and don’t make any time on the leaders of the race.

All I know is that Lance is a god on two wheels.
      I hope he crushes it this year and shuts up all the critics and naysayers.
      Also, a win for Lance would be huge for cancer research, and we all need to support that!

"brianW" wrote

i do have one question on timing. Do the riders get individual times when they come in as a group? I noticed a few days ago when the break away of 25+ riders finished they all got the same time, same with when the peloton finished.

No, all riders in a large group will get the same time. This is to prevent crashes at the finish line where you can imagine those at the back of a large group might try to speed up to shave a few seconds.

Thanks, thats waht i thought but was not 100% sure.

Yeah, you got it, as well if you crash or flat with less than 3k to go you get the time of the group.

The tour this year is exciting a lot of stories are playing out. I read something in Bicycling that I never knew, Jan Ulrich in 1997, took a number two in the cap of his domestique in the Alps, to avoid losing time. Just goes to show you the value of good teamwork, lol.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.