Tough Choice

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I am going to buy a new Bike 😄 and have already decided to go with an Airborne (more bike for the buck). I am OK with the setup and light mechanics so no shop isn’t a big deal. I would like some opinions on the Hobgoblin vs the Goblin. Both 29ers with similar specs. I live in New England so rocks and roots are a staple of riding but tend to ride cross country with no big drops but plenty of climbs and roots and rocks. I realize the 29ers will give me a smoother ride but this is an interesting dilemma that I would like opinions on.
      Thanks for any input.

I just bought new 29er on way I got hard tail based on friends opionions. They claim their hard tails are as good as there 26 full suspension on cross country rides. I currently ride a 26 hard tail so can’t get any worse. I have no experience on a 29 full suspension. I do own a airborne it is a nice bike and they were great to buy from.

Yes, they are both 29ers with similar components, but there the similarities end. The Hobgoblin is a full-suspension bike, whereas the Goblin is a hardtail (with just front suspension), making them both radically different.

Basically, if you can afford either, you need to decide if you want a hardtail or a FS. Obviously, the FS bike will be plusher and more forgiving, but a bit heavier and you might sacrifice a little bit of energy in pedal bob (but not much if your suspension is set up properly).

I have road 26" FS for years, I recently switched to a ridged carbon 29er. I’ve bought the bike last January . It did take some getting used to as far as riding with a little more body flex and , out of the seat more. Now I really enjoy the bike. Do I wish I went with a FS 29er not sure , I don’t think I could get a FS as lite as the ridged at 24 lbs. and it’s an xl . Good luck with your decision. I think most people that really try a 29er will like them .

My preference for New England riding with climbs, roots and rocks would be a cross country full suspension to smooth out the trail. Like Greg said, you will be adding some weight, and the pedal-bob is manageable with proper setup. Just my personal preference. I think you will do fine with either choice 😃

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess the real question is, is the wieght penalty and extra maintenance worth the gain in plushness and smoothing characteristics of FS?

"Doomed" wrote

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess the real question is, is the wieght penalty and extra maintenance worth the gain in plushness and smoothing characteristics of FS?

Well, ultimately that’s a decision that YOU need to make. I personally love riding Full Suspension bikes, although I do own a hardtail 29er as well.

I generally just find FS bikes to be a ton of fun, especially the longer travel rigs. Do you always need FS? No, but I find that they’re just a ton of fun.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="Doomed":15jhykkn]Thanks for the input everyone. I guess the real question is, is the wieght penalty and extra maintenance worth the gain in plushness and smoothing characteristics of FS?

Well, ultimately that’s a decision that YOU need to make. I personally love riding Full Suspension bikes, although I do own a hardtail 29er as well.

I generally just find FS bikes to be a ton of fun, especially the longer travel rigs. Do you always need FS? No, but I find that they’re just a ton of fun.[/quote:15jhykkn]
      +1 What he said Image

"Doomed" wrote

yes, absolutely.

maybe not so much on stravatized, eh, groomed and sanitized xc trails, but with roots and rocks you’ll be bouncing around trying to pick the best lines instead of absorbing the terrain.

but then i’m old and i like my couch too.

If you have not bought a bike yet here’s my 2 cents. The 29" is awesome got mine in put together and rode last night even with the crap forks and narrow bars I love it. It just seems to flow better. The wheels want to just keep rolling down hill, uphill over obstacles. Planning to take out this weekend on some more technical trails and see how it does. i know my next bike is a full suspension 29". If the 29" is this good 29" and suspension has got to be pure bliss.

I would make a different choice given my experience.

Before you pull the trigger on either of those choices, you really should look at the Ti 29er from BikesDirect.com

I too live in New England states- New Hampshire and probably like you did a LOT of reading and research including cruising all my New England lbs’s.

initially, I bought a BAMF S… Kicker 29er. looked great, rode smooth and was pleased with it until my third ride and realized that there was a significant design flaw in the clearance of the lower bracket and the rotor. barely, I mean BARELY fit a credit card between them. God help me had the rear wheel not been tightened and slipped going down a steep ravine I was approaching, when I noticed this. It seemed like a great buy at $1,800.00+ but I wasn’t taking any chances on that frame design. Back it went and they weren’t the best to deal with on the return either. In the end with return S+H and no refund for their "ProBuild" (no real warrantee if you don’t purchase it.) I was out about $125.00 bucks. ;-(

At approx. $2,200.00 delivered to your door in about 5 days from order, full XO 2×10, Elixir Carbon 9’s, quality super lite wheels, a Reba RL front suspension and weighing in at 23 lbs., this machine absolutely rocks! Remember, this is TITANIUM not heavier aluminum or carbon! There is no remotely equal comparison to what you mentioned you are looking at ordering.

On the f/s side, my recommendation is to wait until next year to see what the 650b offerings will look like. Personally, I’m going to wait it out until either BD or someone like them brings forth a Ti 650b.

Two last points on BikesDirect-

This was my second purchase. My g/f got her GT road bike (came with Cannondale factory Owners Manual) and it was about $600.00 less than the comparable bike from my LBS.

Although assembling my Ti 29er was a breeze, I decided to have my mechanic check it out and tweak some adjustments. He’s been 12+ yrs. with one of the premier LBS’s and when he checked out my Ti, he told me a similar unit would be a special order with his company and be between $5,800.00 and about $6,500.00. In the process tweaking, the Sram Carbon XO shifter cable gave way. A pin inside failed. I called BD and spoke with Matt about it. I had a new replacement in 2 days. Super service!

Good luck with your hunt and purchase!!

Jeff

Having been a New England rider (Massachusetts) for some time now… I won’t ever go back to a hardtail. Get the full squishy. 😃

Thanks guys. I think I will go with the Hobgoblin but wanted some opinions. Now can’t wait until tax time so I can order it.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.