total noob tire question

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I hear all the time about people running different tires on front and rear in all sorts of combinations. I’m having trouble understanding why though. Is there a certain reason I’m not seeing? Is it something that would benefit me or is it dependant on where I ride and how I ride that determines my tire choice? Any help with tire information in general would be appreciated because I’m in total darkness.

Hi there Matt,

As riders begin to push the limits of the tires, they begin to try to wring the most out of their setup. For instance, they may put a big grippy tire on the front for control in corners while running a low rolling resistance and smaller tire on the rear to try to recoup some speed.

At my level of riding, I’m A-OK with the same tire on both ends of my bike. As long as they hold air, it seems I’m able to ride to ride at my highest level 😀

I don’t usually mix and match tire types front and rear, but some tires, like the WTB Velociraptor, come with a different front and rear tread.

Like what Schwim said, usually the idea is a tire for steering through corners in the front, and one for traction while accelerating in the back.

So could I safely say its a personal preference/trial-and-error thing? I read the blog post in the beginners section but needed a little clarification.

Yes, personal preference, based on the average trail conditions where you live.

Well its Georgia so I deal with that awesome red clay. I’m guessing something that can grip good but also not hold mud. I think I might get it.

Yeah personal preference, trial and error… But there are some tires that really do work better in some conditions than in others. Also sometimes your bike frame can be a limiting factor. Sometimes you can only fit a tire that is just so wide between the seat stays but you can fit a significantly wider tire up front in the fork.

This is the difference between Singletracks and other forums. Everyone is so helpful here and people are not mocked for asking perfectly legit questions 😈 . If any of you have been on other blogs some of the threads sound like conversations between school yard bullies. Keep up the good work.

Now my question. I ride a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert which is a hardtail. I am more of an endurance rider than anything. I love hellish uphill climbs but am not very good on downhills as I am legally deaf…hence a balance disorder…which was why I started riding as my ENT physician suggested I pick up a hobby that could help me with my balance. I’d say mountain biking is a great choice. Enough of my health history.

Any adivice on a good all around XC tire. I have ideas from my own reseach and what I have been told at bike stores but I say you guys are the experts as you ride frequently enough to know. I ride the trails all over Western NC. I don’t want anything too heavy as I would like to keep rolling resistence down. Thanks for the help in advance.

Hey there Uekiya,

Welcome to the site!

In Western NC, you’re dealing mainly with clay(and tons of leaves right now). When dry, a ton of tires will suit you fantastically. When wet and mushy, it’s a different story, however. Unfortunately, we’ve had a ton of wet weather in the last two months 😢

Right now, I’m running Continental Race Kings and they are doing super duper when it’s dry. Super grippy, only slightly slippery in the leaf litter but ultra-terribad when it’s slick.

Lyle at the bike shop in Hiawassee swears by Schwalbe Rocket Rons. He says he’s not found a better combination of low resistance and good grip.

I’ve also worn out a set of Kenda Nevagals in the area and while the grip is second to none, so, say the tire gurus, is the resistance. I don’t mind the added resistance as I feel it helps me get in shape even more quickly. I just swapped to the Race Kings because my tires were trashed and they were $10 take-offs 😃

Whatever you pick, let us know as I’m always curious to find out what others in the area are running.

I ride mostly Central VA. I’ve ridden a few different tires over the years, but probably don’t have the experience as some on here.

I’ve liked the WTB Velociraptors and Motoraptors. They both are pretty chunky, so if resistance is an issue, you might stay away from these. The WTB Weirwolf is a bit lighter and maybe less resistance, but does not shed mud well at all.

I recently got a new bike and it came with Maxxis Crossmarks. Not my typical tread style, but I figured I’d ride the bike stock for a while before I started swapping anything out. I’ve got to say that the Crossmark is a pretty good tire so far. It’s not as burly as the WTB’s that I have liked in the past, but in both dry and damp conditions it is hooked up well. It doesn’t shed mud well either, but it somehow keeps gripping. And the resistance has got to be lower than the raptors.

"uekiya" wrote

Any adivice on a good all around XC tire. I ride the trails all over Western NC. I don’t want anything too heavy as I would like to keep rolling resistence down. Thanks for the help in advance.

I don’t know what NC riding is like but I ride Kenda Nevagals up front with Kenda Small Block 8s in the rear. I ride in cololorado so conditions from the mountains to the desert! I use this combo almost all the time. Sometimes i use Nevagals in the front and the rear! if your doing some endurance races try the small block 8s in front and in back, Least rolling resistance!! I learned thru trial and error, GOOD LUCK!!!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.