Too much riding?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Too much riding?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I’m new to the forum and new to MTB’ing. I’m 33 6’1 and 290lbs. As a kid I rode BMX everyday. Did some trail riding in my early 20’s. I have started riding my cheap Walmart bike my girl got me a couple years back. I’m enjoying it!!! Found some ATV trails near my house. I started riding 2-3 days a week, and then moved up to 5 days out of the 7 in the week. My question is can you over do it in the beginning? I’m riding 2.5-5 miles each time.

I feel I went at it very hard today and at the end of the ride I was really feeling it. I’m also already to go again tomorrow, but should I?

Thanks for any advice.

Well, thats usually a personal thing. If you’re feeling burnt out then take a day off. As far as the distance goes, I’m a lot younger than you so I’m not too sure if that changes things, but ususally 5 miles isn’t pushing it too much for me. It will just take some time to get those legs back in shape, keep at it! 😃

Just listen to your body. He need to get used to biking and will be more durable the longer you practice

If you have to ask, you’re not wore out enough to skip a ride. You’ll KNOW when it’s too much.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I’m thinking too much into it. I’m ready to go on a ride today.

What I like to do is after a really hard day of riding, a day or so later I’ll go on a cruise around the neighborhood with the kids. It loosens up the sore muscles, without any expectation of having to hammer it over anything difficult.

"maddslacker" wrote

What I like to do is after a really hard day of riding, a day or so later I’ll go on a cruise around the neighborhood with the kids. It loosens up the sore muscles, without any expectation of having to hammer it over anything difficult.

Good advise. I have been going around the neighborhood after riding the trails to try and extend my deistance, but not as hard as the trails. Doing this right after riding the trails. Almost like a cool down.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I’m thinking too much into it. I’m ready to go on a ride today.

Have you been on a big ride laely,like a 20 to 30 mile ride?Just thinking that once you get out and do a big ride you’ll be a little more in tune with your own limit’s.I too go on those short rides during the week and start to feel as if it is too much,although I know now that getting out and doing those big rides can stretch out those feelings and open up the spirit so you feel more like riding through the sands of time.hahaha 😃

"steve32300" wrote

Have you been on a big ride laely,like a 20 to 30 mile ride?Just thinking that once you get out and do a big ride you’ll be a little more in tune with your own limit’s.I too go on those short rides during the week and start to feel as if it is too much,although I know now that getting out and doing those big rides can stretch out those feelings and open up the spirit so you feel more like riding through the sands of time.hahaha 😃

No i have not done a big ride. I was trying to work my way up. My lungs I think are my weak point.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.