too big or too small

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I’m 5’8" tall and it seems that 9 times out of 10, I fall in between manufacturers bike frame sizes. Would it be better to have a smaller bike or a bigger bike if I have to choose? In the parking lot, I can’t really tell the difference. Most times it seems the larger frame is only 1" longer or so on the top tube anyway.

16" vs 18" frame.

It really depends on your torso vs inseam lengths. I am also 5’8" with a 29" inseam. I almost always go with the 16" frame and tweak it with a different length stem and seatpost as needed.

I’d rather go small. If your frame is too big, it’s hard too maneuver. If it’s too small, well, a small frame is easier to maneuver and is that ever bad? You can always buy a longer seatpost if you need to.

For counter point, I’d prefer my frame to be a bit too large than small — I feel more secure on a large frame to muscle around, where as my balance always feels off on a smaller frame.

I think the only way to know is to demo it on some trails and see how you feel!

"maddslacker" wrote

It really depends on your torso vs inseam lengths.

+1

I’m 5’10" and fall inbetween a medium and large for most manufacturers, I prefer the large. I like the longer top tube length because I like being stretched out more.

I think you are going to have to demo(where you intend on riding) the different bikes. And see what works for you. You may have a different riding style than mine. And you can get different stems and seatposts to make small adjustments. however I think if you ride both, you will have a better idea what needs to change. And the one that requires the lest amount of changes is the one you buy.

I’m 5’9" and ride an 18" frame and have no problems at all. My son is 5’4" and rides a 16"… Besides, they make 17" frames also. Just sayin…

"vKAOSv" wrote

I’m 5’9" and ride an 18" frame and have no problems at all. My son is 5’4" and rides a 16"… Besides, they make 17" frames also. Just sayin…

Those numbers mean nothing though. An 18" in one manufacturers bike might be closer to a 20" in another. My medium Vassago fits like a large on most other brands. My On-One is a large.

I went with the med . just felt better to me . 5’8 29 inseam

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.