To be Technical on a Mellow Scenic Stroll…..huh?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

You know I was surfing Singletracks and looking at everyone’s photos of trails that they have ridden. I started with the top 100 trails and worked my way done the list. And I got to thinking, what do people look for when they want to try out a new trail? Myself, I look for a technical challenge…..rocks, trees, roots, climbs, etc. and not so much for the scenery. Scenery is the gravy! So, I am offering the question: WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IN A NEW TRAIL….. TECHNICAL CHALLENGE or A MELLOW RIDE or A SCENIC STROLL? Just food for thought. Thanks for your time.
      Gigpal

Nice question! I’ve often wondered the same. I’ve reviewed trails that I’ve loved because they were smooth and fast, and other users would say they "sucked" and were "boring."

Myself? I like smooth, ripping singletrack where I can push my legs, utilize fast handling skills, and not need to jack on the breaks. Living in New England, there’s plenty of roots and rocks to keep me on my toes no matter what, but I love it when I find smooth sections of trail where I can open it up and ride full throttle!

I guess that makes my answer "Mellow Ride," I just don’t ride it in a mellow way. 😀

My 2 cents… I’m lucky enough to live 10 mins from a great network of mostly technical singletracks. I’m still fairly new to MTB’ing so It’s a great place to build my technical skills. So when I search out another place to ride, it’s usually for a less technical place and more mellow/scenic. But I am sure as my skills develop and I somewhat master my local singletrack I will probably search out more technical places…. So my vote is for mellow right now…

Believe it or not, riding fast & flowing singletrack is more difficult than slow techy stuff. Ripping along an undulating blue-groove at 30mph doesn’t give you much time to react, plus you really have to be on your game with weighting/unweighting your bike for curves and berms.
      Plus there’s nothing like tearing along an unfamiliar trail, and then hitting a massive tabletop around an unknown curve. There’s no time to get psyched-out, and it’s then that you either learn to love altitude, or avoid it like the plague.
      The first time I did that, it was the whole car-wreck slow-motion thing. It felt like I was in the air for minutes, and I landed like a born dirt-jumper. Now that I think about it, I could’ve even thrown in some steeze, but I was just enjoying the view too much to think about it. And when I landed, the way my bike just soaked up the transition was magic…..
      Damn, I miss riding. 😈

I have a looked like a pro, was riding annandal, came to wel known spring, but i am flying, stream is floode a couple of feet wider than expected.

No big just jump it———— left foot un clips———– nice on hand one foot table top/whip——- landed it like it was planned, also like I had done one before,—!@@#$%$#@^&%&— no witnesses. Only reason I landed it was, actualy pictured my broken collarbone in my head.

So it only lives the film in my head

riding is life all else is waiting

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.