To bash or not to bash

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I have been riding alot of trails which have high rocks and I have to either get off my bike and hike or bust up my sprocket just going for it. I was trying to get some information on bash guards. Does anyone have any insight. They seem like a fairly inexpensive way to protect the sprockets. I have been looking at the Race Face and the MRP. Any good pointers of suggestions.

I’m not really a part’s guy so here’s what I would do.Start watching for your line’s,learn how to read the trail as you ride and find the line in the rock’s to avoid hitting stuff with your bike.You’ll end up doing this even if you put on a bash gaurd.It’ll make for better bike skill’s,unless you really like to bash into stuff in which case it would be called fun which is the most important part of it all.Have fun dude.

You could do that like he mentioned above. Or you could do what you are saying, getting a guard. If you like that riding over technical stuff then get the guard, as far as which one to choose, it is a matter of preference. Although in choosing one make sure that it is one that is up to the challenge of smashing against rock, they are breakable. Even though I don’t use one (don’t have a need for it) I do know that RaceFace makes good products. I have one of their BB’s and it has stood the test of time and strength.

I recently bought a RaceFace bash guard from pricepoint.com for about $25. I did this for two reasons – My big chainring was missing about 6 teeth from being smashed on rocks (sometimes line doesn’t matter if the rock is big enough – or the best line may be over the biggest drop 😃 ) and the final straw was a recent header I took and my chainring cut a 3" gash into my shin requiring 13 stitches.

The only argument against it is if you ride on a lot of flats and use the big chainring a lot. Otherwise, it’s a no-brainer – literally a 3 minute fix.

Funny thing – I went to Performance to look for a cheap one and they didn’t even know what a bash guard was!! 😳

cjm

There is ample riding out there that will require a bashguard to protect your rings. Check out Blackspire. They have big ring bashguard if you are fretting the loss of your big ring. It weighs about 800lbs but it works with three rings. I have used thick bash guards and thin bash guards. I broke a thin one, but even with the crack, it still protected the rings.

I am running my first "plastic" one this year. It has held up thus far, but it only gets bonus-points for style, none for performance.

25 dollars sounds about fair for a bashguard. One isn’t really much more special than the other. Unless you need it to cover three rings or want it with points so you can use like a "throwing star" against a charging bear.

A bash guard is the way to go. I got a 9-speed bike this spring, it came with one. I don’t go out if my to bash rocks but now if there is a rock or log in my way I don’t hesitate to attack it.
      Besides the big ring is only missed on the road, and I try to avoid roads anyway 😀

I would say if your trail riding put a bash, I have a few bikes and the one i use for 24’s has all three rings but my longer travel bike has a bash….And it has taken more than a few hits……At $45 a ring its worth getting a bash…

I like a well-worn big ring. If worn enough it’ll slide over almost everything but still hold a chain for big-ring time. That’s just me.

I like rocky trails (Dakota Ridge and sourdough in colorado f.ex). I have a Truvativ Stylo 32 single crank up front. the guard is steel, and tough as nails. I agree with the comment about learning lines, but sometimes there’s no good alternative to just going over… A good guard is always a good thing 😉

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.