Titus?????

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys! Anyone know much about these bikes? Most importantly, I would like to know where to find a serial number or model number on the frame.
      I found one but the guy doesnít know what model it is.(He bought it from his brother years ago)

Any other info on Titus bikes in general would be appreciated. From what I have read, they seems like great bikes but would like to investigate the specific model. ( He lives a little far just to check it out if Iím not VERY sure I might purchase.)

Thanks!

Almost every bike made has it’s serial # engraved on the bottom of the bottom-bracket housing.

Titus bikes use the Horst-link design {same as Specialized}, and are considered to be one of the higher-end bikes out there.
      I’ve never ridden one, and never plan to. This is mostly because I don’t care for the interrupted seat-tube design that Titus uses.

Thanks bomb…..I don;t think The interrupted seat will be an issue since I am only 5’10”. Isnít that the only issue regarding the seat style?

The biggest reason interrupted seat-tubes can be troublesome, is that it can limit how far you can drop your seat for steep descents. This is not a problem if a majority of your riding is down. Just cut off the post and drop it as far as it can go.
      However, if you have to slam the seat down and then raise it back up for grueling climbs, you’re also limited by how much you can cut off of the seatpost while still maintaining minimum seatpost insertion into the seat tube. Too little seatpost in the tube can cause it to bend or otherwise fail.
      On some frames, the shock mounts rather high, and the seatpost can accidentally slam into the shock if you drop it without being careful. On other frames, the shock mounts rather low {like the new RockyMountain Slayer}, so you have much more leeway with the seatpost.

Some people may say that you should find a good seatpost setting and stick with it, climbing or descending….. but it really depends on the type of riding and terrain your bike tackles. Here in Colorado {and to an extent in Germany}, a middle-ing hight on the seatpost may have helped for climbing, but the trails can drop off in a hurry, and I can’t risk getting hung up on the seat when I need to get my weight over the rear tire in a hurry.

A big part of this problem could be solved by a adjustable seatpost like the Speedball or Gravitydropper, but I haven’t tested them out yet to say if they’re really worth the $$$.

Thanks for the input bombadier, I’ll keep it in mind when I test ride it!

Then again, if it’s a Titus Moto-lite, it has an uninterrupted seattube…. and you can disregard all of the above. 😃

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.