tires turning blue

Forums Mountain Bike Forum tires turning blue

--
SHARES

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Corey Maddocks 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

does anybody know why bike tires turn blue when they get wet?

ive always wondered why that happens and i noticed that the blue stuff is kinda slimy.

i think it might be the dye they use to turn the tires from the natural grey color of rubber to the black color where familiar with, but im not sure. if anybody knows the answer or has some kind of idea why that happens please chime in with your thoughts. 😃

on the exterior.

ive noticed that when i ride in the rain or snow or wash my bike my tires form this blue slime like substance on the sidewall and in between the knobs.

im going to go wash my wheels and try to get a pic of the blue slime stuff and then post the pic to show you what im talking about.

heres some pics of what im talking about its kinda hard to see

you can kinda see the blue tint

after wiping the sidewall you can kinda see the blue stuff on the paper towel

I’m guessing your tire stole a never ending gopstopper from Willie Wonka’s factory, and is turnig into a blue berry. There is no cure. 😆

"Inertia" wrote

I’m guessing your tire stole a never ending gopstopper from Willie Wonka’s factory, and is turnig into a blue berry. There is no cure. 😆

maybe 😆

ive noticed that this seems to happen to all of my and the guys i ride with tires, maybe it has something to do with the water in Colorado.

You must have copper in your soil, or police. Haven’t seen that in AZ but our tires never get wet.

On a serious note, I’m sure they use some type of UV protective sealent. Perhaps it’s water based. That would seem counter productive. The blue, and the fact that it comes off, would warrant a call to the mfg’s of KENDA.

The cooler temps could change the state of some sealents. I’m guessing here, but I must say this blue is very intriguing. Keep us posted.

ive been seeing this for several years with my tires no matter who makes them whether its KENDA, WTB, Conntinental, Maxxis the same thing happens, i was thinking it was normal cause ive seen this same thing with other peoples tires in my area and just wondered what would cause this to happen, maybe i should send a e-mail to KENDA or one of the other tire Mfg. and see if they could give me a definitive answer. i was hoping somebody on here has seen this with thier tires and could give me an answer or an insight on why this happens.

"abegold" wrote

You must have copper in your soil

the copper in the soil idea sounds good, but i think that would be more of a green color than blue.

That is weird. I’ve never noticed that here.

i sent a e-mail to KENDA and they told me that the blue stuff is the natural oils in the rubber coming to the surface of the tire and that its nothing to worry about.

i also noticed this morning when walking my dog, that some of the car tires around my apartment complex also had the same thing going on as my bike tires.

I think I have noticed the same thing on a couple of tires at one time or another. I remember it having almost a "wet chalk" type feel to it when I tried to wipe it off. Now that you got that response from KENDA, I am wondering if it may cause dry rotting of the tires or quicker degradation. They say anything about this?

"GoldenGoose" wrote

I think I have noticed the same thing on a couple of tires at one time or another. I remember it having almost a "wet chalk" type feel to it when I tried to wipe it off. Now that you got that response from KENDA, I am wondering if it may cause dry rotting of the tires or quicker degradation. They say anything about this?

it does kinda feel like "wet chalk" but i tend do describe it as a slime type feeling even tho "wet chalk" is a more accurate description.

i also sent KENDA another e-mail asking that question and they said that the tires loose thier oil naturaly overtime even if you cant see it and they said that the blue stuff is from the oil mixing with something in the soil and making it visible and that the fact that i can see the oil doesnt mean that my tires loosing oil any faster than any other tire leading to premature dry rot or quicker degradation of the tire, they said that i shouldnt worry about it and that my tires will be fine.

cool. glad to hear that. thanks for the follow up!

My tires have never turned blue, but I also don’t run Kendas.