Tire Question for a Trek 4300

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I got a Trek 4300 and I want to ride in SF, I was wondering if I should change the MTB tire I got on it right now. I think I do for speed and an easier ride. So if I do need to can anybody recomend a decent rim and tire for me. Thanks for the help.

What kind of terrain are you riding on? What are the trails like? Road/dirt, rooty, sandy, muddy, dry, rocky, smooth hardpack, cross country or more aggressive riding? Depending on what you are looking to ride, different tires will work better than others.

I wouldn’t bother with new rims if the current ones aren’t bent or out-of-true at this point. You can always buy better wheels or have a set made later if you decide it’s an upgrade you really want to make. Even then, the style of riding and terrain you ride will matter for the final decisions.

I must have missed out on some of those context clues that Mongoose picked up on but if you do intend to ride your bike on city streets I would probably get a street tire. Make sure you buy one that fits your rim size (I would bet $1000 it’s 26"). There are a lot of different makes offered out there for street tires on a 26" bike so you shouldn’t have much trouble. I have a set of Gotham’s from Performace Bikes on my commuter bike for buzzing around the neighborhood foing errands and they work great (about $15 a tire). Just make sure you have a set of tire levers so you can change the tires out.

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="Jeremy_Green":2wo5l7ps]I must have missed out on some of those context clues that Mongoose picked up on but if you do intend to ride your bike on city streets I would probably get a street tire. Make sure you buy one that fits your rim size (I would bet $1000 it’s 26"). There are a lot of different makes offered out there for street tires on a 26" bike so you shouldn’t have much trouble. I have a set of Gotham’s from Performace Bikes on my commuter bike for buzzing around the neighborhood foing errands and they work great (about $15 a tire). Just make sure you have a set of tire levers so you can change the tires out.

Hey JG! How is Performance Bikes customer service? I am looking into a MTB they have, and I was wondering how that outfit is. Any info would be greatly appreciated on them. Thanks JG![/quote:2wo5l7ps]

Take it for what it’s worth but a buddy of mine bought a Mongoose last year – paid $700 of an orig $1500 bike. Biggest reason was the one year warranty on all parts. He had to replace, in the first year, rear derailleur, back rim, cassette, pedals, brake levers, bottom bracket, and seatpost. Not a single thing was covered under warranty!! Their comment was always "you are not riding it the way it was intended to be ridden". They advertise it as a 6" ALL MOUNTAIN trail bike!! Yes, this guys rides hard and crashes occassionally but it is suppposed to be ALL MOUNTAIN! so where do they think he is riding?????

Service has also been VERY slow at times and others just slow. I could not recommend this shop to anyone other than a bike path user – maybe other Performance dealers give better service – I don’t know.

I will say, however, I use them for some parts (chains, cassettes, tires) and some clothing items (Fox mtb shorts)

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.