Tire pressure

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys im back!

Just got done riding Graham Swap in Flagler Beach….CRAZY!

Just some questions. My friend and I were wondering if tires pressure matters? Going up hills in the soft sand our rear tires would just spin. Should we lower them to help traction or no?

Also how can I make my brakes tighter? They are ok when riding normal but cant hold at high speeds going down the hills?

Absolutely, pressure matters. Lower pressure = more grab, but at the expense of higher rolling resistance and increased risk of pinch flats.
      Sand is a pain though. Lower will help, but deep silty stuff is always rough to ride, no matter the pressure.

What type brakes are you running?

Thanks guys for getting back to me so fast. I will take the advice on leaving my tires filled with air. I was looking at my brakes the other day and the wire has way to much slack in it. Im going to try to adjust that and see if that does the trick.

This is more of a follow up question to the tire pressure (did not see the point in making a new thread.) I am bigger into numbers as far as pressure, ideally if I was riding on a road about what PSI should I be reaching for, and if I were doing just simple XC riding with a front suspension what should be as well?

"Iscariot" wrote

This is more of a follow up question to the tire pressure (did not see the point in making a new thread.) I am bigger into numbers as far as pressure, ideally if I was riding on a road about what PSI should I be reaching for, and if I were doing just simple XC riding with a front suspension what should be as well?

For road i pretty much max my knobbie out at 55 PSI 60 PSI being the limit. For trails I ride 35 PSI

Yeah man, just for the general knowledge of the singletracks members’ I’m gonna state my PSI. 😆

Trails that I know I will be climbing a lot or need the traction, I’ll run at 40.
      Trails that I know I will want to speed through I’ll bump up to 45.

I ride 50ish if I use my hardtail to commute. 😎

Geessh numbers numbers everywhere….

Well typically when I ride and am using a smallish tire say a 26 x 2.1 to a 26 x2.3 I will run a stagged pressure of 46-40 front and 43-38 rear. Bigger tires 26 x 2.4 and wider I use 40-34 front and 38- 32 rear. Now I weight about 190 with full gear (armor/camelbak/water). So it may be different. It also differs on conditions. If there are big rocks and lots of roots I may need to bump up pressure a touch to prevent snake bite but I make that call based on a run or two.

Wow, thanks a ton. I checked them at they were at about 40ish each. I really appreciate the help.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.