Tire pressure guide

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

Found this thought it could be a useful guide although this is not gospel It’ll get you started:

Subtract 5 psi from every listing and it’s about right.

Stan’s recommends (for tubeless tires) rider weight / 7 + 1 for the rear and – 1 for the front.

So a 200 lb rider (with gear) would have 29.5 in the rear and 27.5 in the front…or 29 and 27 for nice round numbers.

Great chart for ballpark start, then work down. I too run around 5 psi below the chart recommendations, although it varies depending on conditions.

This is a great basic starters guide for a PSI range, though I run between 32 to 38 PSI (2.4 to 2.6" tires) on the trails & freeriding, but bump it up a bit when urban riding (urban FR or commuting). Works absolutely great for me… 😉

Thanks 1sikkHucker, great stuff here ya found here! Thank for sharing. 😄

BTW….[i:3i8cvqwy]Semper Fi brother![/i:3i8cvqwy]

On-On!

When I ran the lightweight Michelins I ran 50-55 psi to prevent pinch flats. I went to the Panaracer XC Pros and run high 30’s front and mid 40’s in the rear. These tires are Anti Pinch and work good at these pressures with no flats. Take into consideration I’m a Clydesdale @ 255 on a good day. Just saying. 😄 Later,

I tend to run about 5 psi higher than that chart and I still get the occasional pinch flat.

I have been having some issues with how much psi my tires should have. Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Yeah, that’s the one I was telling you about, Morgan… Your Zero PSI approach also works.

Great info. I now know I’ve been riding with too much pressure. Thanx

According to the chart , I should be around 35 psi. I typically run at around 50. No wonder I wipe out so much.

"tobar" wrote

According to the chart , I should be around 35 psi. I typically run at around 50. No wonder I wipe out so much.

LOL….Yeah man, that is a good reason. I also noticed a lot of slide or skid outs as well with that much pressure on the dirt/trails, but especially in the berms. That kind of pressure is for the concrete jungle (urban ride/assault). 😉

You know, we learn & live & we live & learn. The fun in this life journey of ours. 😄

I learned the hard way. Had a slow leak in rear tire my bike was really handling well I did not realize it until I put air in right before ride 50lbs my rear wheel was all over the place so I learned by trial and error. running about 30 now rides great

"revans1961" wrote

I learned the hard way. Had a slow leak in rear tire my bike was really handling well I did not realize it until I put air in right before ride 50lbs my rear wheel was all over the place so I learned by trial and error. running about 30 now rides great

Yeah man, 50 to 100psi is for 20" BMX, 24" Cruiser/DJ tires, & 26" DJ/Park/street specific tires/tubes. That must of been a real bumpy/bouncy ride…. 😆

Like i always say….."Lesson learned!" 😉 😆

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I tend to run about 5 psi higher than that chart and I still get the occasional pinch flat.

1 word, tubeless… 😄

"dozzerboy" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":1odm0ay9]I tend to run about 5 psi higher than that chart and I still get the occasional pinch flat.

1 word, tubeless… 😄[/quote:1odm0ay9]

+1,000 Tubeless is where it’s at.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … ing-guide/

Tubeless? Gonna carry a spare tube "just in case"? Just asking. 😄 Later,

I am tubeless and run right around the recommended pressure on the chart. May drop 5 psi and see if that is better. And no reason to carry a tube for me. If I lose pressure I will just shoot it with some CO2.

"topjimmy" wrote

I am tubeless and run right around the recommended pressure on the chart. May drop 5 psi and see if that is better. And no reason to carry a tube for me. If I lose pressure I will just shoot it with some CO2.

You should still carry a tube. Tubeless is flat resistant, not flat proof. If you tear or slice the tire open, Stans wont be able to seal it. Without a tube you’re walking out.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="dozzerboy":ol21qksv][quote="mtbgreg1":ol21qksv]I tend to run about 5 psi higher than that chart and I still get the occasional pinch flat.

1 word, tubeless… 😄[/quote:ol21qksv]

+1,000 Tubeless is where it’s at.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … ing-guide/[/quote:ol21qksv]

I would LOVE to go tubeless! Problem is, over the last couple of years I haven’t spent enough time on the same bike to make the conversion 😉 That’s a good problem to have, though! 😄 😄

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Problem is, over the last couple of years I haven’t spent enough time on the same bike to make the conversion 😉 That’s a good problem to have, though! 😄 😄

yeah, yeah, Mr. 14 test bikes… 😼

He should get a nice wheelset with convertible hubs so he can have nice tubeless wheels and tires on every bike….

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="topjimmy":1ky116kl]I am tubeless and run right around the recommended pressure on the chart. May drop 5 psi and see if that is better. And no reason to carry a tube for me. If I lose pressure I will just shoot it with some CO2.

You should still carry a tube. Tubeless is flat resistant, not flat proof. If you tear or slice the tire open, Stans wont be able to seal it. Without a tube you’re walking out.[/quote:1ky116kl]

Yeah I carry all the dang Tire Levers in my saddle bag. Need to just throw a tube in there.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":2dtqodje]Problem is, over the last couple of years I haven’t spent enough time on the same bike to make the conversion 😉 That’s a good problem to have, though! 😄 😄

yeah, yeah, Mr. 14 test bikes… 😼[/quote:2dtqodje]

Lol haha sorry,… (ok not really) 😼

"dozzerboy" wrote

He should get a nice wheelset with convertible hubs so he can have nice tubeless wheels and tires on every bike….

The problem is just one wheelset wouldn’t cut it. It would have to be a pair of 26 xc, pair of 29 xc, 26 am, 26 DH, and possibly more… Maybe a pair of 29 am…

Psssshhhhh 29’ers….

"dozzerboy" wrote

Psssshhhhh 29’ers….

Get off my lawn!

your scale doesn’t go high enough for me 😳

Dude, it is a linear equation… Not too hard to find your pressure.

Viewing 26 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.