Tire logo

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, stupid question but its bugging me. I just got new tires and they have the logo on one side only. That in itself bugs me but which side should the logo be on? Left, right, one left one right? I have either had all black or logos on both sides in the past. Thanks for any insight!

Good question. My guess is the color logo is supposed to go on the drive side since that is the side that is usually photographed.

Now, why just one side? This could be to save money on ink, or maybe it’s to make it easier to know which direction to mount the tires.

Seems logical. Guess thats why I got a good deal on them, lack of ink ?! If they were directional it would answer this easily but they don’t appear to be. Thanks

Curious, what tires are they?

Rmap01- The tires are Tioga something. Forget the model. I am always trying different tires. Brands, sizes, tread pattern etc. I stumbled across these and they were $20 each. Never really have a price in mind but for that price, I was like, why not.

Personally I think most logos suck. I’m a closet graphics snob that dropped out of a graphic design program. If it was up to me, I’d have plain black tires with no visible logos. If someone was paying me to ride their tires, bike or whatever I will happily whore myself out for their product. Otherwise, I’d rather not be a rolling billboard.

Dr Sweets-  I agree on the logos. I dont mind a small logo but not a fan of being a billboard.

Personally I think most logos suck. I’m a closet graphics snob that dropped out of a graphic design program. If it was up to me, I’d have plain black tires with no visible logos. If someone was paying me to ride their tires, bike or whatever I will happily whore myself out for their product. Otherwise, I’d rather not be a rolling billboard.

I’m talking to more and more riders that think the same thing–even with their bike frame. Lots of people put custom decals on the frames, sharpie out logos on their tires, etc. to keep from giving a company free promo, since they’re not getting paid.
        While I definitely sympathize with the ethos, I’m too lazy to get a custom paint job on my frame just to remove the company logo 🙂

Well said Dr. S!

@rmapo1: Well said Dr. S!

It was the Whores. reference that got you, right?

I’ve heard it’s not uncommon for pro racers to take a black Sharpie to the logos on their tires before a race. Not because they don’t like the look of the logos; it’s because they’re not riding their sponsor’s tires. 🙂

Removing amp name plates was fairly common practice among punk/hardcore bands in DC in the 80’s. I started pulling/cutting off the name tags from my jeans as a kid. I am not selling anyone else’s shit unless I truly believe in it and even then in a very subtle way.

Stixxs:  You originally asked “which side should the logo go on”… were you asking from the point of producing the tire, or from the point of mounting the tire?  If mounting, then the side the label winds up is based on mounting the tire in the right direction for its for tread pattern.  Most of today’s MTB tires are direction specific.  And a few are mounted in opposite directions based on if they are used has a front or rear tire.  In those cases, front and rear labels will be on opposite sides.  If you were asking from a production point of view… anybody’s guess.

fredcook- I was asking as far as mounting. I found a very small arrow so apparently they are directional. So in this case, the logo is on the drive side.

I recommend mounting the logo on the inside. This will make the tire look super clean, and you may also notice that your tread lasts much longer as well.

Ivan

logo doesn’t matter, but the tread pattern will have a certain direction that it should spin. on the side of the tire, the manufacturer should’ve placed an arrow showing direction of rotation

Yes, the most important thing is that you have them rotating in the correct direction for the tread pattern.  Don’t worry about the logo, it’s meaningless unless they make you go faster, like racing stripes.

Look for the little arrow on the side indicating rotation direction.

For the past three people who commented, OP already said that the tires in question aren’t directional. While they’re relatively rare, there are a number of non-directional tires on the market.

fredcook- I was asking as far as mounting. I found a very small arrow so apparently they are directional. So in this case, the logo is on the drive side.

Greg, later in the thread he updated as above.  This topic has been beaten to death – and of logos of all things.  Next ride….

Greg, later in the thread he updated as above.  This topic has been beaten to death – and of logos of all things.  Next ride….

Ah, thanks for pointing that out!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.