Tips on adjusting front derailluer?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I spent probably 4 hours the other night just adjusting the front derailleur on my hardtail, however I never managed to get it set correctly so that in all gear combinations the chain was never rubbing against the cage. I did manage to get so that I could go through all 3 front chain rings with the rear gear set in 5th without any chain rubbing, which was fine for some weekend riding since I usually always leave the rear gear in the middle anyways.

Are there any tips on adjusting the front derailluer, like having the high and low screw set to a certain position before adjusting or how tight the cable should be in first gear (on the smallest chainring and the largest rear cog)?

Thanks in advance.

[url:2lzh67vj]http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75[/url:2lzh67vj]

ebm62980,read this link and I think it will answer your question.There are times when even a correctly adjusted front derailer will rub a little after being set up or adjusted.You are most likely getting the front derailer set right it sounds like.

On most Shimano FDs you start by releasing the tension on the cable and then twisting the front barrel adjuster to the middle of its range.

Reattach the cable and manually pull out the slack.

Shift gears to the small cog up front and the large cog in the rear.

Then adjust the L or H screw (depends on which model you have) until the chain is as close as possible without scraping the inside of the cage when you pedal.

Shift gears to the large up front and the small in the rear.

Adjust the L or H screw (again depends on which model you have) until the chain is as close as possible without scraping the outside of the cage when you pedal.

Shift gears to the middle in front and rear.

Use SMALL adjustments on the barrel adjuster to make sure it will shift out of the middle gear in both directions.

Viola.

[i:srotfivr](Don’t forget that even though you have 8-10 cogs in the rear, they are not intended to be used with every cog in the front. Chain line issues usually cause you get 5-6 rear cogs per front cog. Front inside cog=5 large rear cogs. Front middle cog=5 middle rear cogs. Front outside cog=5 small cogs.)[/i:srotfivr]

Your specific model may have differing instructions but it will basically amount to this same process.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.