Tips for Dropper Seatposts?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I’m having fun with with my new klev dropper post. At first my quads were hurting from getting into my low center of gravity position, but I’m getting better. Still, it’s hard to stay low for extended periods.

Does anyone have tips on how best to use a dropper?

Cheers,
      Lucinda

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

I get very limited use out of mine on our home trail. But basically I use it when I can’t stay balanced on the bike (on a downhill) without putting my butt way back behind the saddle. I don’t like the vulnerability of having that saddle in front of me when descending the steep stuff.

I plan to try the dropper on steep, technical climbs where I may need to try some trials like moves but haven’t had the time to practice it yet. 😮

Watch this video. There are a ton of places you can use a dropper post. Really the question is when do you need your seat high?

http://youtu.be/ykfElfH5LvI

I’m new to droppers and I can’t get mine to go down, LOL! My riding buddies are able to get it. I think I’m too light or something’s a little quirky in the works.

"voghan" wrote

Watch this video. There are a ton of places you can use a dropper post. Really the question is when do you need your seat high?

http://youtu.be/ykfElfH5LvI

^This nailed it.

I have the seat high when I’m climbing or on a boring, flat section…or when I’m tired. Thankfully, the more I rode with the seat slammed, the longer it took me to get tired.

Your legs will wear out sooner, but if your experience is like mine, you’ll have more fun with the seat out of your way. Pumping, carving, and jumping is much better than just pedaling!

Yes, I’ve heard that as well. The "default" should really be to have the seat down except when flat or climbing.

It’s quite a quad burner. 😮

Do you just get used to it? Sort of like after the first time you’ve done squats in a while and the next few times after that don’t feel so bad?

"Ginny_Tory" wrote

I’m new to droppers and I can’t get mine to go down, LOL! My riding buddies are able to get it. I think I’m too light or something’s a little quirky in the works.

Ginny, I’m light and can get mine to go down easily. I think some models are more finicky than others, but my Lev is really smooth and pops up easily as well.

"LucindaInGA" wrote

Yes, I’ve heard that as well. The "default" should really be to have the seat down except when flat or climbing.

Do you just get used to it? Sort of like after the first time you’ve done squats in a while and the next few times after that don’t feel so bad?

Yep! Just like riding with a singlespeed or a larger front ring, you will eventually get used to it and it’ll become second nature.

"LucindaInGA" wrote

When I’m doing normal riding, I drop my seat a lot and shred the turns and descents… but it definitely takes a lot more effort to be supporting your body weight more. However, if I’m doing endurance mountain biking (like a dirty century), the game is totally different: I’m not as concerned about ripping the descents as fast as possible, I’m more concerned about conserving as much energy as possible.

Long story short: if endurance and energy conservation are the goal, don’t use the dropper. If fun, technical prowess, and maximum handling capability are the goal, then dropper all the way… just don’t expect it to be easy!

"LucindaInGA" wrote

[quote="Ginny_Tory":35y9cop9]I’m new to droppers and I can’t get mine to go down, LOL! My riding buddies are able to get it. I think I’m too light or something’s a little quirky in the works.

Ginny, I’m light and can get mine to go down easily. I think some models are more finicky than others, but my Lev is really smooth and pops up easily as well.[/quote:35y9cop9]

I have the reverb on my bike. I wasn’t looking for a dropper, just came with the bike. I haven’t had reason to use it yet. I think I have to lower the pressure or something? Not sure…I’ll mess with it when I get a mtb break.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.