Time to go with Clipless Pedals?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

Ive been getting along fine without clip-in shoes so far, but several folks have insisted getting clipped in (clipless) is the only way to go and once Ive switched I’d never go back. I’m generally a Cross country / All mountain type of rider. Not opposed to it, Just wondering if its worth the switch. Ive noticed about a 50/50 split from folks I see out on the trails. So… Is this the way to go?
      And if so – what pedals / shoes would you recommend?

most of the people i ride with are clipped in. I like it better because you have more power, you have the full pedal stroke to push rather than just pushing down, also if you go over bumpy terrain your feet wont fall off. I like being clipped in, i feel more secure. Some people dont like that you cant get out really fast. that just takes practice, I still cant get out sometimes quickly but I have friends who can, its just practice unclipping. Its really how you ride and how you feel, try both and then see what fits you best

"pinkmtb" wrote

most of the people i ride with are clipped in. I like it better because you have more power, you have the full pedal stroke to push rather than just pushing down, also if you go over bumpy terrain your feet wont fall off. I like being clipped in, i feel more secure. Some people dont like that you cant get out really fast. that just takes practice, I still cant get out sometimes quickly but I have friends who can, its just practice unclipping. Its really how you ride and how you feel, try both and then see what fits you best

I think that sums it up nicely.

"pinkmtb" wrote

just practice unclipping.

over and over and over again.

Unclipping still gives me trouble. I just have to tell myself to un-clip before I slow too much. I’ve had a few moments where I started unclipping too late, stopped, then toppled over like a tree. Like pink said, just practice unclipping and you can’t go wrong with clipless pedals.

Going with or without clipless is a personal choice and to a small degree lets say it depends on the terrain.
      There are advantages both ways.

On the clipless side you do get benifits as mentioned previously.

on the flat pedals you also get benifits. The flat pedal benifit is the ability to bail quickly when things go wrong like slipping of a skinny and such. So if your riding has alot of technical stuff such as that then maybe consider staying flats. If however your not encountering that kind of riding then clipless makes more sense.

For equipment I would firstly say get what fits best shoewise, for clipless pedals shimano, look,time, xpedo, all make decent stuff.

"jtorlando25" wrote

I’ve had a few moments where I started unclipping too late, stopped, then toppled over like a tree.

That’s called a ‘horizontal trackstand’ We’ve all done it.

"element22" wrote

…for clipless pedals shimano, look,time, xpedo, all make decent stuff.

Don’t forget the various Crank Bros models. I switched from Shimano SPD to Eggbeaters, and I find them much much easier and faster to clip in and out of.

I say clipIess as well. I have Crank Brothers Mallets and always recommend starting out with them. It’s a great transition pedal. The eggbeater is smooth and fluid and with the wide mallet, you feel at home with the large platform and lots of stability. Unclipping on the eggbeater is really easy too. Plus, you can ride unclipped really comfortably if you feel a little uncomfortable in a certain situation. A bit heavy and bulky but doesn’t bother me a bit.

http://www.singletracks.com/mtbreviews/ … /1694.html

I really like my Shimano SPD pedals. I like that I can adjust the amount of torque required to unclip. Are you able to do that with eggbeaters?

Eggbeaters don’t have a tension adjustment, only the number of degrees you have to turn your foot to release it.

What I like better about eggbeaters is the 4-sided engagement, and that they are impervious to mud, dust, etc.

Excellent advice all. Thanks much. Think I may give it a shot.

I have the Shimano SPD, they are great, If i am doing something really technical i can stay out and rest on the platform, it feels pretty good, i dont feel the clip mechanism. Ive toppled over plenty not getting out soon enough.

I’ve just started riding clipless and I am liking it but I will clip out on stuff that I’m not comfortable with. I rode the Santa Fe trail last monday which is mainly flat with some rollong hills or sections, and really liked being clipped in, rode palmer park yesterday clipped in for the first time and found myself losing some confidence on some of the techy stuff because i was clipped in. I rode some stuff clipped out and was ok, right now I’m riding some crankbrothers candy c’s and I really like the ease of getting in and out of the pedal along with the 4 sided entry but I want some mallets cus I’m so used to the flats. That way you get best of both worlds…
      Shoes wise I’m using some Lake mx190’s which are really comfortable yet stiff with mesh vents…

Good Luck…

Ok then. Perhaps its time to give it a shot. I’ll be sure to get plenty of clipping practice before I set out… Good to know I can pedal through some tough parts unclipped if need be.

Thanks!

one other thing to keep in mind though, its great to practice but the one thing you may find, I know I did, is that, when you practice, you know when you are unclipping, but when you are on the trails you need to do it in a split second with out thinking. Dont get discouraged, it will become natural.

yeah i second what pink mtb said, if you think you should unclip then do it…
      trust your gut and get plenty of practice clipping in and out. I did in my kitchen while holding on to the fridge while watching tv….once i felt comfortable i took the bike outside.

The other option is to get is to get a set of platforms with pins and get some soft Fox or 5/10 shoes that sink in. You’ll stay on the pedals on rough terrain but you still will not get the upward climbing power of clipless. I like the flexibility to come off quick and use my legs/feet for leverage as needed. Feel more confident on the more techy trails.

I thought about clipless pedals and all the advantages. I was about to equip my bike and then I had a sudden crash…the one you see it coming and you think "this is going to hurt" and then it is over and you are on your way to the emergency room. It would have hurt more if I were clipped in. Clipless pedals may be a bad idea for a recreational mountain biker. I’m thinking once you break that leg it will never be the same.

Or you could get on and just go ride. The embarrassment of falling over once should be enough to make it sink in… 😼

I just purchased some clipless pedals w/some shoes today. They should be here in about a week. I am nervous about going clipless but with practice I am sure I will get it.

Once installed, I will start on the white trails and then proceed to the more technical trails.

I wish someone had told me to practice a bit before I just hit the trail with mine the first time…I unclipped by going over the handlebars 😳

"Hunyuk" wrote

I wish someone had told me to practice a bit before I just hit the trail with mine the first time…I unclipped by going over the handlebars 😳

I am pretty sure that at some point I will be doing the same.

Give me a couple weeks and I am sure that I will join the ranks of "the first time I clipped in I crashed here or I panicked when coming to a stop and fell over …."

I went with look quartz pedals and bontrager mtb shoes, LBS emphasized that unclipping is critical to my health…so I rode around in the parking lot for 10-15 minutes to get it right.

After some local trail rides, and some adjustment to the position of the cleats on the shoes, found that I needed to remove a bit of the inner portion of the lugged sole on the shoes to allow lateral / twisting space to unclip faster – that made a huge difference.

The soles / rubber cleats are very hard rubber / plastic so a combination of a heated razor blade and a small file was used to achieve this extra clearance.

Still ride an old mtb as a commuter rig with toe clips / straps and fortunately I can bail out fast with both setups.

FlowAk

I finally went to clipless pedals. I bought some Eggbeater 2 pedals and am in the process of getting used to them. I do like the feeling you’re locked into the bike better, but I’ve been in some hairy situations knowing if I was clipped in I wouldn’t be able to clip out in time. That was my biggest dilema. I also got tired of my feet flying every which way while riding trails and not being able to pedal hard while shifting because of the lack of connection. I’m going to try some trails this upcoming weekend and hopefully have managed to learn to unclip well enough to not orphan my kid and widow my wife.

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.