Thoughts on WTB velociraptors?or any other tire ideas?

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Thoughts on WTB velociraptors?or any other tire ideas?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

WGK

Well after this winter I think that Im through with kenda nevegals. The wipe out on any agressive cornering and Im tired of it. They also dont seem to wear well in the sidewalls with my weight. Im 6-08 260lbs. I have been reading about the Velocipators and Im very interested. I live in KY and ride in everything from rocks to sand to hardpack to mud (and snow) so I need tires to fit those conditions. Please let me know you thoughts. They will be on a GT avalanche 1.0 rigid.

WGK

I change the air pressure depending on the conditions. average 50-45psi. Im thinking that the knobs arnt stiff enough for my weight.

i think its the transition to the side knobs thats making him fell like hes washing out or maybe they are washing out but ive noticed with those tires you need to lean pretty aggresive into the turns to get them to hook up as thiers a good gap to the side knobs and that little bit of gap can make you feel like your tires washing out. i would recomend some kenda excavators they grip very well in the conditions you said you ride in and the transition to the side knobs is better than the nevegals for cornering.

"WGK" wrote

I change the air pressure depending on the conditions. average 50-45psi. Im thinking that the knobs arnt stiff enough for my weight.

thats a little high for psi you should try to lower the psi in your tires a little bit i have a buddy thats about the same height and weight you mentioned and he runs 35psi in the front and 38psi in the rear with no problems.

WGK

I lower the PSI and I get massive pinch flats and tear up the sidewalls.

WGK
      "trailrider247" wrote

[quote="WGK":2rce1ij6]I change the air pressure depending on the conditions. average 50-45psi. Im thinking that the knobs arnt stiff enough for my weight.

thats a little high for psi you should try to lower the psi in your tires a little bit i have a buddy thats about the same height and weight you mentioned and he runs 35psi in the front and 38psi in the rear with no problems.[/quote:2rce1ij6]

I’m a pretty big guy so too low psi and it’s major damage. They are the 2.1s.

"WGK" wrote

[quote="trailrider247":1p9wfqws][quote="WGK":1p9wfqws]I change the air pressure depending on the conditions. average 50-45psi. Im thinking that the knobs arnt stiff enough for my weight.

thats a little high for psi you should try to lower the psi in your tires a little bit i have a buddy thats about the same height and weight you mentioned and he runs 35psi in the front and 38psi in the rear with no problems.[/quote:1p9wfqws]

I’m a pretty big guy so too low psi and it’s major damage. They are the 2.1s.[/quote:1p9wfqws]

i should have added that my buddy runs 2.35 tires at that psi 😀

WGK

Has anyone used this set up?

i got those tires and they have very good cornering i try to load the tire more by pressing down to get more grip that realy helps i also got the 2.2 those you can run at a lower pressure with out pinch flats so if you want new tires they are nice.

GO 29ers

WGK

Cool, I thought these only came in 2.1’s?

cjm
      "WGK" wrote

Has anyone used this set up?

In the progressive community nearly everyone has run this setup. I think that’s why Pepper was so shocked about the problems you were reporting. Navagel 2.3 and 2.5 are likely the most common tire anywhere lifts turn during the summer. Most people run the between 25 and 40 psi depending on conditions. I am taking Navagel 2.5 to Costa Rica with me this weekend.

If riding KY is anything like WV then a 2.1 is probably to small for the trails. There are plenty of opportunities to pinch flat, and a large volume goes a long way at stopping such flats. Rather you run WTBs or Kendas; I would suggest going to the 2.35.

WGK

Actually Ive been pretty lucky I have only had two flats for a while and they were thorns. I think that the only pinch flat that I have had was on my police bike off of a curb.

I really like the WTB’s That is what I run on my SS. I am trying to decide if I like them more than the Panaracer XCPro’s. So far I think I do!

I ride the Moto Raptors at 2.1, in rocky PHX. I’m 6’2, 210, and have had great success with them in packed and loose terrain out here. I can’t speak to muddy or sloppy conditions however. I usually run my psi at 35-40, depending on conditions.

I have run my 2.1 velociraptors all over Colorado and in Moab on all kinds of surfaces. I generally have them both in the "standard" config, but when I go to the ski resorts for some downhill I have tried flipping the rear tire around for better braking traction. I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

I weigh 200 and run mine at 28psi, and I have never had a pinch flat.

WGK

Well looks like Im going to try these. Thanks guys.

JDH

I’ve been running Velociraptors for the past year on everything from hard packed dirt, sand, loose dirt, mud and even snow and had very little problems with them and not one flat… knock on wood! At 220lbs I’ve ran them as low as 30psi on some very rocky and rooty trails without issue and have yet to have them lose traction even in the tightest curves.

I have also been using Velociraptors for years now and they perform very well! Pick those up or I have also had success with the Panaracer Fire Xc Pro. Either one of those tires are the best performance for your buck

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.