This is messed up, but as it turns out true

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

This was posted on another forum (not by me) and the kid has caught a lot of crap for it, being called a liar and such…but it is looking like it is true.

Here it is,
      "Yesterday Evening I was riding my mountain bike in aliso viejo @ Aliso/Woods canyon park. I was coming down one of my favorite trails, RockIt, when I came up to approximately 20 cross country riders climbing up the hill. I was at the rock garden portion of the trail which is pretty wide. The train of riders was all on the left side of the trail so I kept my speed up, stuck to the right side and kept going.

One of the riders yelled something at me as i went by about it being a cross country and not a downhill trail and to slow the F down. I was almost past the riders and had plenty of room so I kept going.

As I got to the last couple of riders one of them turned their bike sharply into me, knocking me off of my bike. Five or six of them came down, threw me into the bushes and cactus, beat me up a little bit and then stole my bike, car keys and all of my bike tools out of my backpack.

They made off with my Santa Cruz Vp-free which I had almost $6k invested in. I had to walk 2 miles back to my car and then hitch-hike home to get my spare keys as my phone and wallet were locked in the car.

If anyone knows the group that rides 20 strong at Also (a friend thought it might have been the ??????? ????), you were a part of the group and dont think what your buddies did was cool, or has any information about these guys I would really appreciate it. Also, if you come across someone selling my bike, please call the cops.

My bike
      07 Small Santa Cruz VP Free in anodized greyish purple
      White Fox 40 w/ no decals
      sunline direct mount stem
      Hopetech M4 Brakes
      Saint Cranks
      1X9 drivetrain with MRP G2 Chainguide
      Mavic 729’s laced to hadleys (the rear is an old 108pt engagement)
      shaddow XT rear deraileur
      sunline V2 pedals
      Transition saddle
      Thomson seat post

I would like to get the bike back, but Id rather find out who these guys were. I filed a report with the Sheriff’s department. If you have any info please chime in or call the OC Sheriff.

Thanks for everyone’s time. Happy Trails!

~Brian "

Hard to say if it is true or not, though it does sound a bit far stretched I must say. I do not judge and I was not there, and i did not witness this, so to say this person is fibbing would be unethical. I will say this, I have run across some very unethical and beyond rude riders, being MTBR’s & roadies. Most of them I feel would never stoop that low as in this case, though most of the XC riders, but mainly roadies, that I run across are pretty snobby and can be pretty rude. They feel you have no place on the trails if you do not flow at their speed or ride high dollar bikes as the do. I love to ride, and riding loves me, but I am never rude, snobby, nor snooty with anyone. I love to have fun no matter how I am riding or what type of discipline riding I may be doing. Its all about fun and nothing more, nothing less, and nothing else… 😉 😄

Ride on…On-On!

from the other forums it sounds like there was more to the story than the guy who posted originally said. It sounds like he may have been warned that there was a big group and he ignored the warning and banged bars with several riders, then after a collision with the last rider (the one he mentions) he may or may not have pulled a knife and threatened the guy and that is when the group took him down and took his bike. His bike was found tonight and he is pressing charges. This makes mountain bikers look like crap!

Well, as it is always said, there is always two sides to the story, though rarely are they both true or at least one is true, there are two sides. No clear winners here by any means, as you stated…."This makes mountain bikers look like crap!" By far is this the truth, and yes, it does give the MTB’ing community even more of a black eye. Well, no one was there to actually witness the truth (the real truth that is…LOL), so it is a word-of-mouth scenario at this time. Hopefully true justice will prevail here and the parties or parties (both sides) at hand involved will see swift justice. Just absolutely NO NEED for any of that behavior on the trails or off.

I thing I will say, the rider going DH has the right away over the descenders though it should have been done respectively and not in a rude manner.

One thing I have noticed in my time riding, is that XC riders and DH riders do not see eye to eye most of the time. Anyways, like I mentioned in my last posting….."Its all about fun and nothing else!"

Ride on….On-On!

"longboarderj" wrote

This makes mountain bikers look like crap!

Then why are you publicizing it, might I ask?

PS Technically, uphill riders have the right of way over downhill riders, even if that doesn’t always make sense.

Trail mannors matter. Up hill has the right of way. Last rider hears riders coming from behind should shout riders back so your group knows they are coming. Riders closing on group should say On you left(right) to alert the slower riders to their intentions. This keeps everyone riding without mishaps and shows courtesy to slower or faster riders. It is always better to post on things you know first hand instead of posting unknow issues. Good news travels fast but bad news is quicker. 😉 Later,

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="longboarderj":2x93jkkk]This makes mountain bikers look like crap!

PS Technically, uphill riders have the right of way over downhill riders, even if that doesn’t always make sense.[/quote:2x93jkkk]
      😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 ….This is a MTB’ing forum board the last time I checked, so it stays in the MTB’ing community, and I truly feel that the MTB’ing community should be aware of instances such as this.

As per ascending riders technically having the right-of-way over descending riders, well, I am not going to get into that debate by no means, but, I will say this and leave it alone; it is much more dangerous for a descender to stop while they are descending than it is for the ascending rider whom can safely pull over or stop. I mean jeez, you do have lower gears to spin your way up ya know. Yes, the descender should show respect for others around him, as this proper etiquette. Enough said, I am done…..

Ride on….On-On!

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

As per ascending riders technically having the right-of-way over descending riders, well, I am not going to get into that debate by no means, but, I will say this and leave it alone; it is much more dangerous for a descender to stop while they are descending than it is for the ascending rider whom can safely pull over or stop. I mean jeez, you do have lower gears to spin your way up ya know. Yes, the descender should show respect for others around him, as this proper etiquette. Enough said, I am done…..

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/courtesy.htm

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":2x7ubf46][quote="longboarderj":2x7ubf46]This makes mountain bikers look like crap!

[/quote:2x7ubf46]
      😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 ….This is a MTB’ing forum board the last time I checked, so it stays in the MTB’ing community, and I truly feel that the MTB’ing community should be aware of instances such as this.
      [/quote:2x7ubf46]
      That is exactly why I posted this, on a mountain biking website, not in the L.A. Times or other media outlet

Sounds just like an XC rider or should I say an ex-roadie thoughts….LOL

I love the part in that link that states this….

"A lot of us — including the UMB riders — routinely pull off for downhillers when we’re riding uphill, because [color=#0000FF:21584n44](1) it’s easier for us to stop, (2) we see the downhiller before he sees us, (3) we need the rest, and (4) we want the downhiller to have a good time.[/color:21584n44] If the trail is very wide, the downhiller can pass without stopping, by pulling far right and slowing to a crawl."

NOT MY WORDS…LOL.

Anyways, I do agree slowing down if the trail does not permit a safe pass, though I do not agree with flying by them warp speed, but not stopping or slowing to a crawl.

"longboarderj" wrote

That is exactly why I posted this, on a mountain biking website, not in the L.A. Times or other media outlet

Say it like it is brother…..😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.