Thinking about buying a road bike

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Thinking about buying a road bike

--
SHARES

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Yeah I’m thinking about buying a 63cm Trek 2.1. I only live a few miles from work and does make much since to use my truck or camaro. Never owen a road bike before but it looks like fun

Riding on the road will help you develop a good "spin" that will help on the MTN bike. Just take care that you don’t become a hood orniment. 😄 Later,

I ride a road bike as well…I still prefer mountain biking but I do enjoy getting out on the roadie and logging some good miles. I have definitely noticed a difference in my climbing and endurance on my mountain bike. I would say go for it…!

Pic of mine on the trainer…

I did it the other way. After almost 50 years of road bikes, I now have my first mountain bike. I still ride the road bike more than the mountain bike, but I find real benefits from both. I truly feel that the mountain bike has improved my road bike fitness. My legs seem stronger and I am pushing a bigger gear more easily. Transition to the mountain bike was easy, because I already had the basic skills — I just got great new places to use them.

I spend the summer in the mountains, and I have been watching the mtn bike guys with envy for the past few years and finally saved enough money to join them. But when head west this summer, there will definitely be two bikes on the roof.

Riding a bike of any variety leads to improvement in personal well-being.

But you know that. Grab the road bike and add it to your stable, you’ll lose nothing and gain a whole bunch.

Road biking is a great alternative to Mountain biking – depending on where you live. I used to live in the Chicago area and was scared most of the time. Out here in the Front Range of Colorado, I’m never scared for my life.

When the trails are still drying out I’ll hit the road hard. Most of my riding buddies are mountain bikers that also ride road. I happen to be a road biker that also rides mountain bikes. For those that say it is boring, come out and visit…I’ll show you some exciting road rides.

"outlawracer" wrote

Yeah I’m thinking about buying a 63cm Trek 2.1. I only live a few miles from work and does make much since to use my truck or camaro. Never owen a road bike before but it looks like fun

I have a 2009 Trek 2.1 and I think it’s a sweet ride for the money. I love the geometry; it’s a great fit for me.

"Beaker" wrote

Out here in the Front Range of Colorado, I’m never scared for my life.

When the trails are still drying out I’ll hit the road hard.

+1 and +1! A large percentage of drivers in my area of Colorado seem to be courteous on the roads. You will still need to be vigilant/aware while riding road though. I would STRONGLY recommend investing in a cycling rearview mirror. Of course, the best part of road riding is being able to put in some miles while the trails are too muddy.

Get a road bike with a stiff and punishing aluminum frame. I’ll help you with your spin as I mentioned before. It will also make your mountain bike seem more comfortable. Just saying. 😄 Later,

If you’re strapped for cash, you could just ride your MTB on the road.

But I’m with you, I want a road bike too…

I converted my old hardtail to a fully rigid and put urban tires on it. the whole conversion cost me $80.

I’m throwin this out there because I don’t know jack about road bikes,but what if you put a road ring and cessette on a mtn bike,would it make any sense to do that???Is it mechanically interchangeble???I’m just thinkin a rider could zip around urban settings pretty fast with road gear package set up on his mtn bike.I know the bike itself wouldn’t be the same streamline setup,but it would get a rider around a little smoother with some urban tires.I guess the cost would probably be a little high as well to make it an undesireable exchange having to buy sfifters,cranks,rings,cassette,chain.I just like mtn bikes and can’t stand the thought of getting on a road bike,blahh…I’ve tried before,a couple of times and don’t neccessarily feel bad about the road bike itself,I just like the feel of a mtn bike soooo much better.I wonder though…… 😉

On mine I run out my gears at 25MPH and am currently investigating installing a bigger chainring. I’ll let you know what I end up with.

Yeah i’m pretty excited. Here in Texas are weather is crazy, mite get 3 days of beautiful weather this it starts poring. There’s many times I wanted to go biking but the trails were still to muddy. I think a road bike is going to be awesome. Im planning to ride from Texas to Oklahoman as a fund raiser for ALS disease "my dad has ALS". Plus there’s more to biking then one style. I like being well rounded, biking wise lol

Viewing 11 reply threads