The new guy…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello all!
      New to the forum and trying to get back into MTB. I have a Trek 4300 hard tail… Looking for some advice on a couple of things- I want to convert my V brakes to Disc, is this possible without serious modifications? AND Looking to start a training regiment, any good resources I should find? Thanks in advance!!

Hi Tastebuds and welcome to the forum.

For the disc question, it will depend on your bike for what you will need to do. A question you need to consider-does your frame and fork have disc brake tabs? If your frame doesn’t have them (located on the left side of the frame by your rear wheel dropout) you are pretty much out of luck. I’ve looked into a few adapters that will allow you mount a disc if you don’t have them on the frame, and am not too impressed with the adapters that you can find.

If your frame and fork are compatible with disc brakes, you could buy the components to add disc brakes. You would need wheels with disc hubs on them if yours don’t have them (cheap set for $150ish), a complete brake set (about $100 for a set of Shimano M395s*) that includes lever/caliper and rotors).

You can consider saving the money and buying a new, leftover or used bike. You can find bikes for $500+

Couple bikes in that price range:

GT
      Airborne

*note that the brake set I linked are moto-style setup with the right lever working the front brake. You would need to switch the lines.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.