Terrible cramps

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

This weekend I did 20.xx miles of beautiful singletrack, followed by terrible craps in my quads. I had to skip the last ride because of it. I think I drank enough water, 200oz over 5 hours of riding. I had snacks during ride: 3 granola bars, and 1 everything bagel intermittently throughout ride.

I’m blaming the problem on lack of electrolytes, and my lack of experience (leg strength?) and endurance. It might have been the lack of water, I didn’t piss at all during the ride.

What do you guys think I should do to prevent this next time? More water? Gatorade? More food? Get stronger?

Thanks guys!
      Hammer.

This weekend I did 20.xx miles of beautiful singletrack, followed by terrible craps in my quads. I had to skip the last ride because of it. I think I drank enough water, 200oz over 5 hours of riding. I had snacks during ride: 3 granola bars, and 1 everything bagel intermittently throughout ride

How did you eat and drink the day or days before that ride??

[quoteI’m blaming the problem on lack of electrolytes, and my lack of experience (leg strength?) and endurance. It might have been the lack of water, I didn’t piss at all during the ride.][/quote]

What color WAS your pee when you did pee??If it was clear,then your drinking too much water,if it was yellow,then your not drinking enough.Should be inbetween,yellowish but clearish as well.

What do you guys think I should do to prevent this next time? More water? Gatorade? More food? Get stronger?

I wouldnt change too much just yet,you may be right about just being out of shape or just not strong enough yet.Your probably eating and drinking daily.Your body is more than likely letting you know your just behind in these things a little bit and need to be a little more on top of it by doing just a little better job of keeping up with it while your exerting yourself on these big longer rides.If you do change your diet or hydration intake,make small changes until you know things have smooted out and the cramps are not gonna get you again.[/code]

I didn’t eat much of a breakfast that morning, just a bagel and coffee…

Next time I’ll be sure to eat a better breakfast and good meal the day before. I probably should have skipped the nightcap too…

I’m not sure what color my piss was, haha. But I see your point in using that as an indicator of hydration.

I just stumbled into this thread:

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2522

Lots of good info there, I shoulda looked harder for a Cramp thread before starting this one… my bad.

Cramps are kind weird,although when you get em,and unless your on a relentless schedule like a racer,backing off and giving your body a chance to settle down,reorganize for more exertion and start back up usually takes care of cramps.But if your on a relentless schedule and are trying to ride no matter what,then you really have to figure out what your doing wrong and give your body what it needs,this usually requires a doctor to pinpoint just what it is that your body is under supplyed on to really figure it out.I dont race,and the only time I’ve gotten cramps was after being sick and when I went for my first ride after being sick,I cramped up bad.I mean,it took me three hours to limp my way back to the trail head and it was only an 7 mile trip back.As far as that situatuion goes,my body just needed the time to take care of being sick,catch back up to speed and redirect it’s sources back to normal functions before my body was ready for physical exertion such as mtn biking.

One thing about cramps though,is that your body has a crystal clear way of letting a person know that somthing is not right and wont let you keep going without getting the situation fixed by giving you cramps.hahahahaha.

I think the answer to the question is the amount of potassium, but I could be wrong……….

as Wikipedia states –
      "Cramps are unpleasant, often painful sensations caused by contraction or over-shortening of muscles. Cramps can be caused by cold, overexertion or low calcium level in blood (especially for adolescents where they need calcium for both blood and bone maturing) though the most common reason is low sodium and potassium levels in blood accompanied by excessive dehydration. Illness or poisoning can also cause cramps, particularly in the stomach, which is referred to as colic if it fits particular characteristics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramp

"steve32300" wrote

What color WAS your pee when you did pee??If it was clear,then your drinking too much water,if it was yellow,then your not drinking enough.Should be inbetween,yellowish but clearish as well.

I don’t quite agree with that, I’ve been told that urine should be clear. I don’t have to drink all too much to achieve this. But I could be wrong again! Maybe it really should be a mix. Besides, is it really possible to drink TOO much water when exercising? (the answer is probably yes, but still) IMO in between is definitely good to have. But you are right about the yellow, that is a big no no.

If you drink way to much water and do a lot of exercise, there is the possibility of death, which is known as water intoxication ([url:1fucp0x5]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication[/url:1fucp0x5])

I always thought it was good to drink water to get the color clear; however, the color can also be impacted by food eaten, liquids consumed, or a serious illness.

I’d be conservative by using the color of your pee to be a meter on how much water you need to take in, just make sure your getting your daily dosages plus more to keep hydrated.

Reminds me a few months ago when I was heli-skiing 5 hours northwest of Calgary and was forcing myself to drink water/sports drinks after each run just to make sure I was hydrated. Didn’t pee the entire day because of the constant work out.

Try staying away from the coffee and alcohol the morning of or the night before any physical activity. If you do use these, use them sparingly. Both are considered diuretics. They will actually cause you to be more dehydrated. This could be the cause of you cramps. Next time try orange juice and a banana for breakfast. This will raise you potassium levels. Before you start any physical activity drink plenty of cold water (yes cold). Studies have showed that people that drink cold water before a work out show more stamina. Then as you work out stick with room temperature water. You body can better absorb it. As for drinking too many fluids…if you are doing any physical activity where your body is sweating at a normal rate (for you) don’t worry about over hydrating yourself. And as always make sure you stretch before your next outing. This should help with your cramping.

PSUtuna,…I like the way you think. I am 52 and having a prob with cramps in my calfs. I like my beer and don’t want to give it up, and probably won’t, but the OJ and Bananas deal seems to be working for me. BTW, it seems only be the morning rides when it hits.

Deleted…

Wrong post at old thread.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.