Switching from V- brakes to discs

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I’m considering making a switch from v- brakes to discs. Is it worth it and if so, what other equipment will I need to buy besides the brakes. I have a Giant Boulder SE hardtail

Are your rims disk ready?

I don’t think so. I don’t see any bolt holes where I could mount a brake rotor

Do your frame and fork have the tabs to mount the calipers?

no.

Then your decision just got really easy: stay with V-brakes. 😉

That was easy. +1 ^^

Even if it was yes to those questions the advantages of switching are limited – some would argue you’re better with V brakes.

V brakes are disc brakes, the rim is the disk. I be I get slammed for this one. 😄 Later,

You are technically correct:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_(mathematics)

Disc brakes are a lot more complex to maintain than V brakes. I’m willing to bet your V brakes stop you every time you use them. I know mine do. Disc brakes big advantage, I think, comes when you do stream crossings, and bombing down mountains. If you’re not doing much of those things when you ride, V brakes are just fine.

I have used v-brakes, mechanical disc, and now hydraulic disc, and yes, they all stop the bike. The rest is merey creature comfort.. A disc upgrade provides a firmer stop feel and power. The hydraulic disc is slick….Firm, consistant stop power reguardless of conditions with single finger ease. Disc upgrade is quite pricy on an older bike setup that is not disc ready. You are looking at big dollars that could be applied toward your next steed.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.