suspension.. How much is enough??

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking to move into a FS bike and have been looking at 2 of the Giants.. The Trance and the Anthem.. Anyway I have a line on 2 bikes that are both full XT with similar wheel sets, tires and Price.. The only major difference seems to be the suspension travel.

I’m 5’10" 190lbs and So far all of my riding has been on tracks like Owl’s Roost, Overmountain Victory, Wild Turkey and trails of that nature. I do plan to ride some to the Pisgah and Tsali trails next season but otherwise I don’t see much changing.

So how much Suspension is enough? Do I need 5 inches of travel with the Trance or will 3.5 on the Anthem work? What are the Pros and Cons?

Any thoughts on the 2 bikes..?

Thanks for the help..

Well to be truthful they are totally different. One bike is a trail burner ( Anthem) with aggressive angles and designed to travel very quickly with a hardtailish ride. Where the other (Trance) with slightly altered and slacker angles and longer travel will have a more plush ride with in my opinion a greater range of trails that you can travel on. The anthem is great at going fast…If fast is what you want take the Anthem…The Trance can do more, still go fast (just not as fast) but it can do trails and take some mild hits, rock gardens and the such…..

I personally ride Opus and have the similar models i have a 100mm bike and a 140mm bike…..And i choose between them….Now of my two i find myself on the 140mm bike more often and reserve the 100mm to do 24h events or quick laps at my local favorite course.

My wife says 3.5" is enough. I prefer 5".

So how much Suspension is enough? Do I need 5 inches of travel with the Trance or will 3.5 on the Anthem work? What are the Pros and Cons?

The Trance will be better for trail,downhill,faster technical riding

The Anthem will be better for xc,climbing,slower technical riding

I myself have a stumpjumper with travel adjust on the fork.I can change the travel from 100mm,120mm,140mm so I can change to whatever combination of adjustments I may need or want.
      I think that how fast you ride is an important factor like element22 suggestes as well.Are you gonna be making time as you ride or are you gonna take time as you ride??The faster bike will be the shorter travel and the longer travel will be a little bit slower although will be better for trails that are new to you.In other words,if your gonna ride the same trails for the most part,maby the shorter tavel bike will be better and if you plan on riding as many new trails as you can get your hands on then the longer travel bike might be better suited for you.

Just wanted to add – the Trance has 4" of suspension – the Trance X has 5" of travel.

If it were me, i’d get the Reign. But i don’t even know if they make those anymore. I think around 6" is perfect for a do it all bike. But that’s just me. I ride uphill so i can ride downhill. I’m a pretty aggressive rider. i ride a lot of downhill and have a nice downhill bike, so i’m probably a little more aggressive when going down hills.
      6" bikes are great. They usually have a lot better geometry for riding all together. If you’re mostly in to climbing, i don’t really know which bike would be better suited for you.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.