Surley Pugsley vs Stumpjumper HT 29er (or another hardtail)

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Surley Pugsley vs Stumpjumper HT 29er (or another hardtail)

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Hello to everyone! I wanna see what other people think about second bike purchase. Or, maybe, any other ideas…
      I have a full suspension 29er which I really like… Except one small thing – I can’t find any option to fit a rack to carry some camping gear while on a few day trip. So, I’ve decided that I need another, hardtail, bike for my longer trips to carry me and gear and supplies. I’m thinking about Surly Pugsley (go anywhere bike with minimum maintenance but heavy) or Stumpjumper HT 29er Comp (I like its lightness) to do this task. These bikes are about the same price.
      I wanna hear if anyone rode any of these bikes and what you, guys, thinking about which one will better suit my needs?
      Thanks to everyone for attention and any advice 😀

I don’t have any advice for you about which bike would be better for your needs, but I can say don’t take the Surley dirt jumping or you’re bound to end up like this guy!

Sorry I had to!!!

Hahahaha,that’s funny slipfinger,neveer seen a pugsly endo like that…sounds like you would be happy with either,so if your gonna go camping and riding,which bike would you ride more or which bike would suit your needs more once your camp is set up??Or are you gonna mostly camp,fish,and rough it and not ride so much??I think I would rather the bike I I would enjoy more or use more once camp is set up

"slipfinger" wrote

I don’t have any advice for you about which bike would be better for your needs, but I can say don’t take the Surley dirt jumping or you’re bound to end up like this guy!

Sorry I had to!!!

Wow, I love the serene look on his face as if he’s completely accepted what’s happening and is just waiting patiently for it to be over so he can pick up his nose and carry on.

Hahaha, Slipfinger, that pic is awesome 😃 . I don’t do DJ a lot, but will remember your advice if will choose Pugsley. Steve32300, that is a good question. I like biking and do camping too. The idea is to bike long distance (longer then one day ride) through remote places and enjoy a cup of tea near fire after long day in the saddle. So, camping here is just for spending a night and at the day time – biking.
      I’ve started thinking about Pugsley (never rode one on the dirt) after riding my "regular" bike in the dip sand and snow… otherwise I’d buy Stumpy HT or Talon 29er with no hesitation.

Surly Karate Monkey (ss) or Ogre (multi-speed) have many ride configuration options. They are basically the same frame with the ogre having places to attach derailers/cables. This years KM is disc brakes only while the Ogre can take cantalever or disc brakes. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey http://surlybikes.com/bikes/ogre

Salsa El Mariachi is another with multi-options. This one came in second place during this years "Ride the Divide" race as a ss set up. http://salsacycles.com/bikes/el_mariachi/

Both of these can take larger tires. Believe 2.5 maybe a bit larger. Also I have seen a pic. with the front fork switched out to fit a fat tire wheel.

The Salsa Fargo is advertised as the off-road adventure bike. http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/

Thanks to everyone, who replied. Will try to find that Ogre in LBS to compare with other bikes.

It’s an old thread but wanna let you guys know that I finally got a bike – Motobecane Fly Team 29er Ti. I was in between of El Mariacchi2 and Fly Team and decided to give Ti a try. And looks like its a lot of bike for the money (if frame will stand abuse),
      Will put handlebar-, frame- and seatbag and see how would it perform on the bikepacking trip. So far I rode it on singletrack and love it.
      Have fun on the trails ;)

Nice choice!

Be sure to post pics both with and without the bags.

Thanks, Jared. Sure, I’ll post pics once I’ll get bags and my camera back from repair shop.

Finally I took a pic of my new bike. Here with bags right of the box
      I’ve already upgraded to longer (400mm) seatpost and better Ergon grips and had really sweet singletrack time on it. X0 components is a true pleasure to use.
      Now gotta make a route and ride it loaded

Nice looking ride!

Thank You, Jared.

Hey stumpyfsr,
      What made you decide a hard tail instead of a fat bike? I am going to buy a Surly Pugsley in two weeks then going to donate my MTB to Africa but I put a lot of love in my Trek 26" hard tail and I am having a little bit of separation anxiety. Thanks if you reply, if not, hope your are riding the heck out of your bike 😃

"steven_d_smith" wrote

Hey stumpyfsr,
      What made you decide a hard tail instead of a fat bike? I am going to buy a Surly Pugsley in two weeks then going to donate my MTB to Africa but I put a lot of love in my Trek 26" hard tail and I am having a little bit of separation anxiety. Thanks if you reply, if not, hope your are riding the heck out of your bike 😃

Hello, @steven_d_smith!
      Well, since this post was last updated, I bought one more bike – Surly Pugsley. And now it’s always tough decision on which bike to ride.
      Now back to your question. I will write my personal!!! opinion, based only on my personal experience.
      For me Stumpjumper FSR 29er is like any ordinary off-road vehicle, will take you anywhere and will provide a 100% satisfaction from riding. I ride it most of the time.
      Motobecane is like a rally car, rolling very fast on smooth trails but better to have a rear suspension on a gnarly routes. Good choice for bikepacking and dirt touring.
      Pugsley is a monster-truck and brings a huge smile while riding. This bike motivate me to explore, because it roll easier on soft terrain, where ordinary bike will struggle. Although Pugsley require a stronger legs and body in general in order to ride it fast on technical trails. A set of 29er wheels for summer could be useful (if it’s your only bike) yet not mandatory. If not jumping, lighter drilled rims will shed some weight. And it DOES sink in very deep snow, so be ready for hike-a-bike.
      Hope this info will help. I know for sure You won’t regret buying Puysley. For me it’s hard to choose, so I keep all three 😀 If I would have to let one bike go, I’ll sell hardtail before Pugs, period. Or trade HT and Pugs for Titanium 9.zero.7

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.