Superfly vs rumblefish???? What to get?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Ok so i’m in the market for a new 29er trek! I love trek and I’ve done all the research and more on the Superfly and Rumblefish. The thing is i’m in a pickle, i have recently gotten in to more cross country riding and am going to do a few low competitive races next year, if that even makes sense. I also love to just trail ride and enjoy the ride. I know trek is officially going to release there bikes some time in mid august. I just need some help deciding what type of bike i should get? I’ve never owned a 29er but have rode both the superfly 100 and rumblefish II both 2011 models.

I would love to hear your opinions on this, what bike would work best for me???????

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ … e-12-45071

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t … look-30991

I’m no expert.

fairly new to MTB’ing.

and also a Huge fan of Trek bikes!

I think according to the type of riding you do, both are those bikes are over-qualified and over-priced.
      You don’t have to go top of the line to go 29.

I ride a Trek Mamba, and absolutely love it.
      I have my eyes set on my next upgrade as being something in the Paragon or the X-Caliber range.

But if you are just Mr.Moneybags and you think that you have to have the best there is to offer in order to enjoy it (or if you think the price tag infuses you with skill) then go big, get the Superfly, spend way too much on a bike that’s designed for something other than your riding style.

I personally like the Rumblefish of the two though – but I just think that’s my common sense kicking in, because it’s priced less again for way more bike than I need or could use

"jahwarrior" wrote

I think according to the type of riding you do, both are those bikes are over-qualified and over-priced.
      You don’t have to go top of the line to go 29.

I ride a Trek Mamba, and absolutely love it.
      I have my eyes set on my next upgrade as being something in the Paragon or the X-Caliber range.

But if you are just Mr.Moneybags and you think that you have to have the best there is to offer in order to enjoy it (or if you think the price tag infuses you with skill) then go big, get the Superfly, spend way too much on a bike that’s designed for something other than your riding style.

I personally like the Rumblefish of the two though – but I just think that’s my common sense kicking in, because it’s priced less again for way more bike than I need or could use

HA who are you to say that??? Your no help to me!

Mountain biking is what i do, i work and bike and ski. I specifically got a job at night to do what i love during the day. I save money for toys such as this. I am in no way a "moneybag." I live in a ski town we don’t make money here.

On another note, i am not in the market for a hardtail 29er, i have heard good things of the mamba.

I have been leaning toward the Rumblefish, Just not certain yet! tomorrow Is Trek World in Madison, Wisconsin! would love to hear some POSITIVE feedback!

my bad.

What’s more important to you:
      -low weight and speed
      —-or—–
      -toughness and durability

If you wanna go fast, get the Superfly (I’ve heard it makes a pretty good trail bike too, for what it’s worth, tons of reviews out there – every major magazine has reviewed it at least once). If you want to bomb technical terrain get the rumblefish.

Have you thought about the HiFi? If I remember correctly it’s basically an aluminum Superfly. Same geometry and suspension, but a little heavier and a lot cheaper. Something to think about 😃 (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong about that….not a trek fanboy myself so don’t know all the ins and outs of them without looking it up)

"dgaddis" wrote

Have you thought about the HiFi? If I remember correctly it’s basically an aluminum Superfly. Same geometry and suspension, but a little heavier and a lot cheaper. Something to think about (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong about that….not a trek fanboy myself so don’t know all the ins and outs of them without looking it up)

You are correct. I was going to suggest the HiFi (it’s what I’m riding and racing). When I was in the market it was between the HiFi and Rumblefish, went the HiFi route obviously and love it. For me it was a better fit, quicker feel and more aggressive stance than the Rumblefish, which had a little more slack in the front end. Both great bikes and I don’t think you can go wrong… but the HiFi is set up (like the Superfly which is a super fast race bike) to be more XC minded. Check it out if you haven’t already, it just seems like two extremes to consider the Rumblefish against the Superfly – Rumblefish vs. HiFi is more on the same level.

"eastwood" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":2zrbj261]Have you thought about the HiFi? If I remember correctly it’s basically an aluminum Superfly. Same geometry and suspension, but a little heavier and a lot cheaper. Something to think about (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong about that….not a trek fanboy myself so don’t know all the ins and outs of them without looking it up)

[/quote:2zrbj261]

Trek axed the hifi this year, this is there 2012 lineup of superfly and rumblefish!

Superfly 100 Carbon Pro
      Superfly 100 Carbon Elite
      Superfly 100 Carbon
      Superfly 100 AL Pro
      Superfly 100 AL Elite
      Superfly 100 AL
      Rumblefish Pro
      Rumblefish Elite
      Rumblefish

The Superfly aluminum. the bottom end is 2012 Superfly 100 Elite (AL) is priced at $2519.00. And the Superfly 100 Pro (AL) is priced at $3549.00.

Its tough though! i know i could use the rumblefish but would love a superfly for speed! maybe i should just sacrifice a bit of travel.

huh, I didn’t know they switched it up for the 2012 line… very cool. Well, you are back to the drawing boards I guess, ha ha 😆

I rode a 2011 Rumblefish II at a Trek Demo Day this year. Amazing! Fast, stable, handled like it was on rails. I’m a big guy (6’3" and 235lbs) and I love to break things on my bikes. The demo guy basically said the Fish was made specifically for guys like me. I ran it for 7 miles and loved every second of it. I’m in the same boat as you. My plan is to buy the Rumblefish Pro at the end of this season. One ride and I was sold! My only complaint is that the top of the line Fish went from $3849 to $4519! They added 10mm of travel to the back and the DRCV Fox fork.

"subyfan1" wrote

They added 10mm of travel to the back and the DRCV Fox fork.

Yeah thats the thing, I’m just not sure i need all that travel especially with a 29er. it might slow me down a bit! the aluminm superfly pro is a reasonable price!

Rumblefish MSRP = $2400

Rumblefish Elite MSRP = $3000

RF Elite specs:

Frame Alpha Platinum Aluminum main frame & stays w/ABP Convert, magnesium swing link, G2 Geometry, E2 tapered head tube, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
      Front Suspension Fox 32 Float RL, Trek DRCV air spring, lockout, rebound, custom G2 Geometry, 51mm offset crown, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, 120mm travel, tuned by Trek in California
      Rear Suspension Fox Performance Series Float RP-2 w/DRCV, ProPedal, rebound; 7.25×1.875", tuned by Trek in California
      Wheels
      Wheels Bontrager Rhythm Elite TLR Disc 29 wheel system, 15mm FCC front hub, 142x12mm rear hub, 28 hole, Tubeless Ready
      Tires Bontrager 29-4 Expert, 29×2.3"
      Drivetrain
      Shifters Shimano SLX M660-10, 10 speed
      Front Derailleur Shimano SLX, direct mount
      Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT M780 Shadow
      Crank Shimano M552, 42/32/22
      Bottom Bracket Shimano press fit
      Cassette Shimano HG62-10 11-36, 10 speed
      Pedals n/a
      Components
      Saddle Bontrager Evoke 2, chromoly rails
      Seat Post Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset
      Handlebars Bontrager Race Lite Low Riser, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep
      Stem Bontrager Rhythm Pro, 31.8mm
      Grips Bontrager Race Lite, lock-on
      Headset FSA NO.57E, E2, ACB sealed bearings
      Brakeset Shimano SLX M666 hydraulic disc brakes
      Extras Trek fork & shock sag meter, Bontrager shock pump

Rumblefish Pro MSRP = $4300

New, burlier Alpha Platinum Aluminum main frame
      ABP Convert is active suspension under braking, with 142×12
      DRCV fork and shock
      Frameset
      Frame Alpha Platinum Aluminum main frame & stays w/ABP Convert, magnesium swing link, G2 Geometry, E2 tapered head tube, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
      Front Suspension Fox 32 Float RLC, Trek DRCV air spring, Kashima coat, lockout, rebound, compression, custom G2 Geometry, 51mm offset crown, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, 120mm travel, tuned by Trek in California
      Rear Suspension Fox Performance Series Float RP-3 w/DRCV, Boost Valve, 3-position Climb-Ride-Descend ProPedal, rebound; 7.75×1.875", tuned by Trek in California
      Wheels
      Wheels Bontrager Rhythm Pro TLR Disc 29 wheel system, 15mm FCC front hub, 142x12mm rear hub, 28 hole, Tubeless Ready
      Tires Bontrager 29-4 Team, 29×2.3"
      Drivetrain
      Shifters Shimano Deore XT M780, 10 speed
      Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT, direct mount
      Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR M980 Shadow
      Crank Shimano Deore XT M780, 42/32/24
      Bottom Bracket Shimano press fit
      Cassette Shimano Deore XT M771-10 11-36, 10 speed
      Pedals n/a
      Components
      Saddle Bontrager Evoke 3, titanium rails
      Seat Post Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset
      Handlebars Bontrager Race Lite Low Riser, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep
      Stem Bontrager Rhythm Pro, 31.8mm
      Grips Bontrager Race Lite, lock-on
      Headset FSA NO.57, E2, ACB sealed bearings
      Brakeset Shimano Deore XT M785 hydraulic disc brakes
      Extras Trek fork & shock sag meter, Bontrager shock pump

dgaddis hit the nail on the head! The 2011 Rumblefish has received the highest marks and is probably one of the most capable 29er’s out there. But, it’s more of a trail/AM 29er. It has a bit more travel, it’s heavier and its geometry is suited for more technical terrain. Honestly, I’m not a Trek guy, but if I was to get a 29er, I’d get a Rumblefish. BUT, if you’re going to be racing, you’d be better off with a Superfly. Either way, I’d go try to demo them.

Man, I love getting new bike 😃 Good luck!

I’ve been riding a 2010 Rumblefish 2 since April of last year. Most of my riding has been in the San Antonio, TX area with a mix of fast, winding singletrack and loose rocky technical areas, and on the CO Front Range near Boulder and Lyons (Mt Falcon, Hall Ranch, Devil’s Backbone, Blue Sky, etc.). My other bikes are 26" Stumpjumper FSR and a Novaro Hardtail. The R’fish2 makes riding a whole new experience, all positive. It is a bit bouncy grinding uphill but that may be tweakable if you pay more attention than I do to the suspension settings and pressure. It is very sweet downhill, even through the rough stuff which I like to hit fairly hard. The 2012s sound like they’ll be even better.

Found my R’fish2 almost new on Ebay and saved over $1K on the purchase price.

Look for a 2011 closeout on HiFi Deluxe. Superfly design able to take a beating! And you can save some cash too.

Other than that – all I can offer is that you might want to also consider the Specialized 2012 Camber’s when they get released. Carbon options there too.

Full disclosure:
      I own & love 2010 Hifi Deluxe

Jim

"bethjim" wrote

Other than that – all I can offer is that you might want to also consider the Specialized 2012 Camber’s when they get released. Carbon options there too.

Yeah i checked the camber out, its kinda a perfect medium. i just love trek, and want to stick with them I own a fuel right now and love it, although i know getting a 29er is going to be much different. My company i work for gives 50% off all specialized bikes but they went over there quota this year and don’t think they can do it for lower level folks here! sad i know.

I think its going to be between AL superfly and Rumblefish. maybe ill double check the specialized bikes.

I just bought the entry level Rumblefish, after riding a Trek Fuel 70 for the past 5 years. I debated between the Rumblefish, Superfly and Hifi. I rode all 3 and felt most comfortable on the Rumblefish. I’ve ridden it about 60 miles since I bought it last week and after a few tweaks, it’s perfect! I’m guessing that whichever bike you pick, you’ll love it.

or maybe i should get a new fuel ex, and get a hard tail 29 in a few years???? ahhhh

If you’re considering the Carbon Superfly then I say go with the Rumblefish. The carbon Superfly has had some issues in the past with breaking near the chainstay.

On another note, how much travel are you wanting from the rear suspension? The hardtail 29ers can give you 2 inches of travel when running tubeless so that’s something to think about money wise. Take the extra bones you save and use it to upgrade components…wheels maybe?

If you are going to race, go ahead and get a hard tail. I have a 2011 Nomad and a 2012 Stumpy HT 29er. I tried a few races on the Nomad and it was awful. Make sure you get something with really good racing geometry, alot of the newer full suspension bikes are getting alot slacker on the head tube which makes it harder to weave at high speeds. That being said you may want to look at other brands too, you can get alot of really good deals out there. I just got my carbon 29er hardtail with Industry 9s for $4600 w/ taxes. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC … e=Mountain The bike only weights 23 lbs and is a rocket.

OK, hardtail will wait at least until next year but….

i was looking at the Specialized camber. I wish Trek had a in between bike such as the camber, its perfect. They even have a carbon version around 5000 bucks, not bad.

I guess the question i have….. Is the DRCV that worth it, has anyone tried it. i know i need to get on one soon. I’m starting to like the idea of getting a carbon 29er Camber!

My 2012 RF Pro just came in on Friday the 28th. I’ve had it out 3 times now and I’m still dialing the suspension in. The ride is perfect, just as I remember when I rode the 2011 RF II. I can’t say I notice a considerable difference in the fork compared to the non-DRCV 2011, but I haven’t ridden a variety of trails with it yet. The most amazing thing to me about the RF is that I expend less energy and ride my local trails much faster. It’s a very confident machine that really does pedal well up hills when set up correctly.

Highly recommended, especially for guys like me that beat up on bikes. The bike is rock-solid and surprisingly light for its purpose and size.

Glad you’re stoked.

I’m having the same dilemma right now. Camber or Superfly? I already have a 150mm downhill bike that I’m using on our south Florida cross country trails and want to add a more suitable bike to the stable. A fast and fun 29er. It’s between either the Superfly or the Camber, which has an extra 10mms of cushion.

I’ve test ridden them both and like both just as much and am on the fence about whether I’ll grow tired of the 100mms of travel and wished I had gotten the Camber or if I get the Camber and wish, after time, that I opted for the faster bike.

I know that in the end it’s my decision, but I’d like to hear other opinions that may help me decide.

Thanks,

Tom

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.