Sunglass Lenses

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking into getting a pair of interchangeable sunglasses for riding. What colors do you suggest and do you recommend polarized lenses? There are so many options its a little overwhelming.

I use yellow and blue glases

Yellow works on overcast days. Brightens the trail up a bit. Sometimes use clear on sunny days just gor dust protection. Definately worth the money for s good pair. I use Tifosis.

We had this discussion on our local forums recently. I’ve always like red lenses for riding…couldn’t tell you exactly why, just knew that I liked them. Then someone posted this link that explains why, it’s worth a read: http://coachlevi.com/cycling/sunglass-l … ion-guide/

"bhuber" wrote

I’m looking into getting a pair of interchangeable sunglasses for riding. What colors do you suggest and do you recommend polarized lenses? There are so many options its a little overwhelming.

I bought the Oakley Jawbones and have loved them. I did not go polarized with the lenses for riding. I use an iridium orange, clear, or PLAIN black depending on the overcast and where Im riding.

Dgaddis posted an awesome site to explain. Good luck bro!

If you still live in Evans, check out Escape Outdoors, they sell Oakleys are on the same road as Brown Seed and Feed off of Washington rd. Chain Reaction behind ‘If Its Paper’ sells Oakleys too. Both are great stores with awesome employees who dont mind answering questions.

Dgaddis: Thanks for the link. Great info

"dgaddis" wrote

Then someone posted this link that explains why, it’s worth a read: http://coachlevi.com/cycling/sunglass-l … ion-guide/

Good read, but I can’t agree on the blue lenses.

Read the article as well and it is definetly worth a read…

thats for the link dgaddis.
      well, after reading that I’m going with a pair of smith whisper sunglasses with brown yellow & clear lenses. I’ve never looked through brown sunglasses before so that will be interesting.
      thanks for all your help guys.

I have always been partial to brown because of the green and brown light enhancement of trees and trails. However, i have recently taken to Polarchromic lenses from Julbo for cycling, ice and rock climbing and Smith for hiking and casual. The sunglasses i have now are two pairs; Julbo Reflex and Smith Hideout.

Julbo Reflex goes from 41% VLT to 12% VLT
      Smith Hideout (Ignitor Mirror) goes from about 35% VLT to 18% VLT

I highly recommend both of these and of course the Smith’s are Teclite glass lenses which are the bomb!!!

[url:1rw1x9jy]http://white-knuckled.blogspot.com[/url:1rw1x9jy]

I’ve got Oakley Flak Jackets which are polarized. Polarized are a lot more expensive, but worth it. They knock the glare off objects.

I have the Smith Factor Dmax with the brown polarized. I really like the brown over their lighter polarized lens. It also have the yellow, orange and clear lens. I think the updated version is the parallell.

I actually spent some time working at LensCrafters a few years ago and by doing so learned a lot about optics. My advice is to go polarized no matter what brand you get. There is no gimick here the clarity will make a huge difference for you on the trails or road and allow you to see the details more. The basic idea is that a polarized lens will let the light pass through in stead of just bounce off of your lens. This will greatly reduce glare. I prefer brown tint because it increases contrast, and if you do any skiing you can wear them in the winter too. If you dont need them to be prescription you can get a nice pair for under $100 anywear but be aware of knock-offs. Id stick to EMS, Sunglass Hut, REI, or your LBS if they carry them. Bring your helmet to make sure they will fit good!

"ollysj" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":191m7nda] Then someone posted this link that explains why, it’s worth a read: http://coachlevi.com/cycling/sunglass-l … ion-guide/

Good read, but I can’t agree on the blue lenses.[/quote:191m7nda]
      I used to wear blue lens Oakleys all the time, I loved the look of them but could never see very well in medium and mixed light compared to my other Oakleys. Even my dark gray and black iridium seem to perform better.

"ltud" wrote

[quote="ollysj":1wqtf3wo][quote="dgaddis":1wqtf3wo] Then someone posted this link that explains why, it’s worth a read: http://coachlevi.com/cycling/sunglass-l … ion-guide/

Good read, but I can’t agree on the blue lenses.[/quote:1wqtf3wo]
      I used to wear blue lens Oakleys all the time, I loved the look of them but could never see very well in medium and mixed light compared to my other Oakleys. Even my dark gray and black iridium seem to perform better.[/quote:1wqtf3wo]I only wear them in bright light, so it never has been an issue to me. Otherwise I change to orange lenses

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.